Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 861

Shooter
    35mm

Process B/W with C-41

Where I live, it's difficult to deal with film unless you have a darkroom, and even then, the chemicals and set up stuff are hard to get into the Island.

The photofinish place say they can only develop 35mm color negative C-41..

Is it possible to process B/W film with C-41, what kind of effect would that give.

I don't mind it being completely screwed up - it might be interesting.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug!

If you process a standard b&w film in C-41 you'll get a blank film, as the bleach bath involved will bleach out the silver image.

However, there are so called chromogenic b&W films which have to be processed in C-41. They yield not a silver but a monochrome dye image.

Films are Ilford XP-2 plus and Kodak BW 400CN.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks muchly!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bleach bypass, and you'll be fine, though C41 by labs is run at set temp and time for all films, so unless you diy at home, you'll have to match exposure to the process.

I'd recommend try making parodinal, or caffenol+C etc, you can get all the stuff at a supermarket and/or health food shop

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yesterday I've accidentaly processed a 120 trix in c-41. Expecting a fuji CN 400 I was disappointed with the almost transparent washed out image, but when I realized it was a Tri-x I've felt lucky since the images can still be seen even if most of the shadow details are lost. Could be that some dyes are present in the tri-x ? As far as I know the film should be completely blank

the negative
    work done on photoshop levels
    no work done on levels

I'll wait to see how they will be hard to print

4min dev 100 F in colortec, 10 min blix .. easily scratched

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two things may be allowing you to preserve an image on TX.

The first is using a Blix. I have warned before that a film Blix is too weak to remove all of the silver. This may just be an illustration of my warning.

The second is that the TX400 may contain a lot of Silver Halide with very high Iodide, and this retards bleaching and fixing.

There are no color formers in TX400.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin