Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,698   Posts: 1,482,557   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chemists-Is this bad for film?

In a discussion about controlling dust on film (and/or scanning surfaces), it was mentioned that one photographer used a Swiffer Sweeper pad (dry) to clean negatives before printing or scanning.

So, I did some goggling and found that most of the ingredients are a secret formula, but found other statements referring to these.

Polypropylene - which sounds like it could be based of petroleum, i.e. vaseline.
    1,4 Dioxane - which is classified as ether. and a dehydrated form of;
    Diethylene glycol - which also sounds like a petroleum with alcohol.

1.) Are they bad for the gelatin base in emulsion? Color or B&W?

If any are related to alcohol, I would wonder if that could somehow have a drying effect on the gelatin and possibly cause cracking.

2.) I have also been told that there is some sort of "oil" in those "Orange film clothes". Can anyone confirm that and/or tell me what compound it actually is. Possibly why it is safe.

I'm not a chemist and at times like this, wish I was.

Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't ruin your film. Don't use any of the above.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank You PE.

Can you tell me if I am correct on my assessment of the effects of a alcohol based product on gelatin? Or maybe explain how these products would be harmful to film. I know you are a busy person, but I have a thirst for knowing the reasons behind this type of thing.

Thank You

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alcohol based products are generally less harmful than your list above, because alcohols tend to evaporate, at least the common ones we use. The chemicals you list are generally oily and some contain colorants and fragrances. These leave residues on film that smear the image and can damage the support or gelatin. Generally, oily materials are bad.

You can search google for more information as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dioxane

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 03-25-2010 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added google reference

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Get some of the orange-colored (not orange-scented) Ilford "Antistaticum" cloths for cleaning film.

http://store.pictureline.com/ilford-antistaticum.html
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks PE for the explaination.

Kirk, the clothes you refer to are the ones I mentioned in #2 part of my question. I was told that these are the ones that have some sort of oil in them. What makes these clothes "Antistaticum"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    In a discussion about controlling dust on film (and/or scanning surfaces), it was mentioned that one photographer used a Swiffer Sweeper pad (dry) to clean negatives before printing or scanning.

So, I did some goggling and found that most of the ingredients are a secret formula, but found other statements referring to these.

Polypropylene - which sounds like it could be based of petroleum, i.e. vaseline.
    1,4 Dioxane - which is classified as ether. and a dehydrated form of;
    Diethylene glycol - which also sounds like a petroleum with alcohol.

1.) Are they bad for the gelatin base in emulsion? Color or B&W?

If any are related to alcohol, I would wonder if that could somehow have a drying effect on the gelatin and possibly cause cracking.

2.) I have also been told that there is some sort of "oil" in those "Orange film clothes". Can anyone confirm that and/or tell me what compound it actually is. Possibly why it is safe.

I'm not a chemist and at times like this, wish I was.

Thank you
    Polypropylene is a polymer, probably used in the fiber in the dry Swiffer pad or refill and would not leave a residue. I looked at two MSDSs for the dry Swiffer refills and they do not disclose 1,4-dioxane or diethylene glycol. It is unlikely that the dry Swiffer products would leave enough residue on negatives to harm them. If you are concerned, try rubbing a Swiffer on a clean dry reflective surface, such as a mirror or glass and look for any sign of residue or smearing.

Whether or not the Swiffer fibers would scratch the surface of the negative is another question, you could try it out on a strip of negatives that you aren't overly fond of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Pentax, I found this link:http://www.pgproductsafety.com/produ..._threshold.pdf that seems to suggest they had to answer for 1,4 diaxane in the past. That's why I included it, though I really don't know if it exists in the product here. But I asked just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Are those Polonium 210 anti-static brushes still available? Haven't seen one in years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Are those Polonium 210 anti-static brushes still available? Haven't seen one in years.
    http://www.amstat.com/solutions/staticmaster.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_Film.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_Film.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin