Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1296

Shooter
    Multi Format

Observations on Kodak Ektacolor RA4 RT dev/rep and blix storage life

I had some leftover developer and blix mixed up back on 28 Nov 09, there was only about 200ml of each left in a couple of squeezed out 500ml pete plastic water bottles. After doing some printing last night, I made a test print using the old chemistry. The drum smelled a little different when I opened it than it did when using the fresh mixed chemistry, but the interesting thing is I can't spot any difference in the prints. The subject was a flower, and the shades of pink, white, yellow and darkish greens match perfectly. Processing was done at 20-21C for 2 minutes.

I do mix the chems with distilled water and store in free reused PETE 2 litre soft drink and 500ml water bottles.

Now does anyone know a simple test to determine if blix is still good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen similar keeping for the developer and longer keeping for the blix.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've seen it form particles before. I'd say that means it's done.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The blix forms particles when it goes bad. Same thing as bad hypo. The developer will generally just darken and sometimes it may oil out.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I guess I'll just leave these small bottles sit and see what happens, as I am curious as to how long it will keep and remain usable. Not that that is a problem when I only mix up one or two liters at a time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin