Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,243   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

EI for Kodak Portra 400NC

.......so i have a shoot in 1 hour and I'm thinking of using some Portra 400NC as well as my beloved 160NC....I think i need to rate it at 320 asa as opposed to 400 asa....what are your thoughts people....its a person shoot so bring on some fine skin tones..........

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I always rate it at box speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    400? I've never had any problems with it there. 320 will be fine too - also gives you a bit of extra wiggle room to account for a bit of variability in metering, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used both box speed and 320 and they both look fine.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    great stuff thanks....I shot at 320 as per recommendation from the master and guru himself Photo Engineer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EI 250 or EI 200 would also have looked wonderful, and probably even EI 500 .

There is quite a lot of exposure latitude, especially if you overexpose. The level of shadow detail you want determine the EI for you. If you want more shadow detail than "normal", overexpose. You can shoot it even at 100 if you want to exaggerate this effect! The risk of "blowing highlights" is in my opinion almost nonexistent with modern color neg films.

And, if you are fine with less than "normal" shadow detail, you can underexpose it. EI 800? Possible. Gives nice contrast to regions that normally are at highlights.

What is "normal", only you can decide for yourself by testing the film in several shooting situations, but the nominal ISO value suits most of the people. It's all about your personal taste and shooting situations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the information everyone so far!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let us know what you think of the results. And thanks but I am just an ordinary guy!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Let us know what you think of the results. And thanks but I am just an ordinary guy!

PE
    Riiiiiight. You're just an ordinary guy when it comes to photography. Now *that* is an April Fools' joke!
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it anywhere from 250 to 2000, depending on what sort of look I want, and/or what I can get away with exposure wise.

When I want it to look how Kodak intended it to look, I rate it at box speed and use an incident meter.

When I know I want to overexpose every single shot, for whatever reason (usually for a tad more bite and detail in the shadows), I rate it at 250. I don't rate it below that even if I want more overexposure. I prefer to do the additional overexposure manually after doing the first 2/3 stop built in by rerating.

When placing low tones, I usually use EI 500, and push 1/2 stop, due to the film's relatively low contrast.

It has a lot of underexposure latitude (relatively), and is low in contrast (relatively), so it is good for underexposing and pushing. It is the only fast color 4x5 film in existence, so I use it hand held, often rated at 500, 1000, or 2000, depending on the light. You can pull off 250 with hand held 4x5 in good light, but once you shoot in darker light, you need to underexpose, and the film performs well when you need to do this, up to about 2-1/2 stops (EI 2000 or so), if you push to compensate.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin