Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,698   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    But the process is far more complex. You need an set of washes and a clearing bath.

As for NH4FeEDTA, the Formulary probably still has it. Since it is a low demand item it is not in the catalog. They may have run out though and may not wish to reorder in bulk for one user.

Anyhow, I know how to get around that.

PE
    That's good news. I almost hope it gets discontinued, since I can't find it (in reasonable amounts, at least) anywhere anyway.

As for the ferricyanide bleach, what kind of clearing bath is needed? I know I read, here or elsewhere, that ferricyanide bleach requires a good wash before and after, but I haven't heard anything about a clearing bath.
    Last edited by thisismyname09; 04-03-2010 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The correct cycle is this.

1. Develop
    2. Stop/clear = stop bath + sulfite
    3. Good wash, not just rinse
    4. Ferri bleach
    > Note, if you get stains or your fix goes bad, you need a clear here as well.
    5. Good wash
    6. Fix
    7. Wash
    8. Stabilize

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How to make Ferric EDTA:

Take 1 mole of Ferric Chloride
    Add 1.1 mole of EDTA acid

With stirring and mild heat, add 28% Ammonium Hydroxide until the pH = 6.0

You will have an excess of Ammonium Chloride which will make the bleach about 20% less reactive and less soluble

The goal at the end is to have about 40 - 60% Ammonium Ferric EDTA in 1 liter, so judge the water carefully.

Wear safety goggles, rubber gloves and a lab coat or old clothes during this process.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just in case anyone was wondering, I emailed the photographer's formulary about ferric ammonium EDTA. I was told that they can't get it anymore, so anyone interested in making their own bleach has to go with ferricyanide or use the the procedure PE posted to get Fe EDTA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I E-mailed the following question about Flexicolor III Bleach and recieved the reply yesterday:

1. Instead of mixing 12.5 gallons of replenisher, I'd like to mix say 1 gallon at a time. If I do this would it be better to mix a 1 gallon working tank solution with starter or just 1 gallon of the replenisher and make a working tank solution as needed? I guess my real question is will the working tank solution have a shorter "shelf life" than the mixed replenisher?

A: It would be up to you to decide which you would rather mix. It all depends on your needs. As for the life span of the chemistry, a working solution does have a slighty shorter shelf life. Bleach III, however is about 8 weeks for both, so no real advantage in doing either. All about personal prefernce.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eight weeks? Quite different than the 5 years PE said in an earlier post.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak gives them 8 weeks. Bleach is quite stable. I have kept it for over 5 years with no problem.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin