Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,395   Online: 906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160. It only seems to be available in this region though, and I strongly suspect it's something rebranded.
    I've tried it. I think it's rebranded Portra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    marylandphoto: I wouldn't have guessed! Do you think it's VC or NC? My guess would be NC, judging from the subdued, pastel-ish colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikingman View Post
    Keithwms, are you suggesting normal processing w/ your suggestion, or pull processing?

"But you could also rate one of the 160 films at 80-100 or so and you'll also get strong primaries. With the Fuji 400 colour neg film, you'd need to rate closer to 200 to get the strong primaries. "

-John
    I am suggesting processing normally, while simply rating the film a half to a full stop slower.

I agree with the suggestion to try ektar as well. My first impression of it was mixed, but honestly I haven't spent much time with it so far.

But again, anybody who hasn't tried slide, especially the three I mentioned (astia 100F, velvia 100, and provia 400x), should do so ASAP!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    marylandphoto: I wouldn't have guessed! Do you think it's VC or NC? My guess would be NC, judging from the subdued, pastel-ish colors.
    I think it's NC too. I could possibly be wrong on that, but nevertheless I don't see why Kodak would go out their way to make a slightly different emulsion in
    the odd speed of 160.

There's a Kodak film called ColorPlus that is consumer film in other countries. I've tried this too; it seems to be different from Kodak Gold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Responding to the original post, I agree with the previous poster who said that Agfacolor Ultra was definitely in the running for being a punchy film close to that of a Velvia slide. I just sold my last 7 rolls on eBay...I've seen them go for up to $20/roll in some auctions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grisez View Post
    I shoot mostly 35mm with some 120 thrown in (on a Yashica A TLR) for good measure. I really like Fuji Superia Xtra 400 as a good everyday film as it gives me the great colors and saturation that I like. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything like that in 120 format. I like the look of Velvia, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to shoot slide film. Reala is too dull for anything but pictures of people. Is there a 120 print film that is similar to Velvia 50? ISO200 or lower would be preferred.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    Fuji 160C, rated at 400 and pushed one to two stops in processing...but wait! That's gone now!

Ektar looks nothing like it, though I am sure that will be the stock answer in this thread.

I'd say to go for Portra 160VC, underexposed one to two stops, and pushed one to two stops, possibly printed on Ultra Endura instead of Supra Endura.

If not that, Fuji Reala, rated at 400, pushed two, printed on Ultra paper...but wait! That's gone too!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure if it's available everywhere, but Fuji is selling a relatively cheap slide film here called Trebi, which is not as fine-grained and saturated as Velvia, but not too far either, and a little cheaper.
    Ektar is cheap to buy, but expensive to process somehow (they apparently insist on sending it to Kodak for development).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaury View Post
    Not sure if it's available everywhere, but Fuji is selling a relatively cheap slide film here called Trebi, which is not as fine-grained and saturated as Velvia, but not too far either, and a little cheaper.
    Ektar is cheap to buy, but expensive to process somehow (they apparently insist on sending it to Kodak for development).
    Who are "they" (and where is "here")? Ridiculous! Ektar does not need to be sent anywhere special for processing! C-41 is C-41 is C-41. It is a standardized process, and any film that sez "process C-41" on the cassette can be run with the same processing method in which any other C-41 film can be run. There are no emulsion-specific process variations for still color negative films.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well 2F/2F aren't Fuji c41 chems optimized for Fuji films? A local lab uses Fuji chems and I have always wondered if that was part of my issue with ektar, and also why my Fuji stuff seemed generally better from the lab than when done at home using different chems.

That said, I do agree that it will work, even if it is not optimal. Amaury just tell them to do it! But know that doing c41 at home is also quite easy....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you looking at to come to that conclusion, the prints or the scans? Can't tell a damned thing from either of those. Could be that whoever is processing your Ektar just doesn't have the correct profile in the print machine or plain old does lousy scans. C-41 is C-41. 2F/2F is right.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin