Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,383   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Is there anything similar to Velvia 50 in print film?

I shoot mostly 35mm with some 120 thrown in (on a Yashica A TLR) for good measure. I really like Fuji Superia Xtra 400 as a good everyday film as it gives me the great colors and saturation that I like. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything like that in 120 format. I like the look of Velvia, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to shoot slide film. Reala is too dull for anything but pictures of people. Is there a 120 print film that is similar to Velvia 50? ISO200 or lower would be preferred.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not anymore. But you could also rate one of the 160 films at 80-100 or so and you'll also get strong primaries. With the Fuji 400 colour neg film, you'd need to rate closer to 200 to get the strong primaries.

Disclaimer: I am not saying the result will look exactly like velvia. I am simply suggesting that you try rating print film slower than box speed and see if it grabs you in a similar way.

But.... don't be silly! You are good enough to shoot slide film. So just do it... while you still can. Try astia 100F, velvia 100 and provia 400x, have fun. Bracket +/- 1 stop 'til you get the feeling. Enjoy.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grisez View Post
    I shoot mostly 35mm with some 120 thrown in (on a Yashica A TLR) for good measure. I really like Fuji Superia Xtra 400 as a good everyday film as it gives me the great colors and saturation that I like. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything like that in 120 format. I like the look of Velvia, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to shoot slide film. Reala is too dull for anything but pictures of people. Is there a 120 print film that is similar to Velvia 50? ISO200 or lower would be preferred.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    You can get Superia 400 in 120 sizes here in the UK.

I would try Ektar, very saturated. Plus you have a little more exposure latitude than slide, say -1/+2.

Otherwise, shoot Velvia if you like it.

Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, there's Ektar, but shooting Velvia is just as easy under favourable light conditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Yashica A too, and due to cost issues, my everyday film with it is Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160. It only seems to be available in this region though, and I strongly suspect it's something rebranded. I can't say the colors are anything like Velvia, but I like it okay. So far, cost issues aside, the best color neg in 120 for me would be Fuji Pro 400H.

But yeah, try Ektar. I have 2 rolls and haven't shot it yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Keithwms, are you suggesting normal processing w/ your suggestion, or pull processing?

"But you could also rate one of the 160 films at 80-100 or so and you'll also get strong primaries. With the Fuji 400 colour neg film, you'd need to rate closer to 200 to get the strong primaries. "

-John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar 100. That's the ticket. The color palette is a bit different, but it is highly saturated and more punchy than many other print films. Enjoy the extra stop of speed, and the extra latitude.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! And thank you for the vote of confidence, Keith! I will give Ektar a try and maybe some Velvia and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa Ultra 50 was the closest, and it was interesting, but I never took to it like I took to Velvia.

But if you want to shoot punchy prints, it's hard to go wrong with Ektar 100.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Reala or Kodak Ektar.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin