Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Creative uses for expired C41??

Anyone have any creative (non critical) ideas for what to do with expired C41 negative film. I mean really really expired - not just past the date. Oh and by creative I mean at least worth the processing cost.

I found a bunch of 35mm and 120 Kodak Portra 160VC and 400NC that has expiration dates of 2002 2004 and 2006. The hazards of traveling and moving way way too much stuff gets lost for years. On a brighter note I found a pristine old F3 Nikon in the same box that I hadn't seen in years.

RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    160 should be ok to just shoot it. I use 100-200 film of that age routinely for snaps with glove-compartment XA. 400 could be dead though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's not really expired. If it was frozen you should be good. I've been shooting slide film from the early 90's lately.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Storage was in the bottom of a box - varying conditions hot to cold.

RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try one roll and see. You might be surprised.

You might want to halve the ISO to be sure that you have enough density in the shadows, in case it's fogged. C41 can take a stop of overexposure without any difficulty.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 20 rolls of Kodacolor VR 200 with only 8 exposures per roll that expired in 2000. Needless to say, I'm at a loss at what to use them for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 400 will have moderate background fog and speed loss. Use it to test cameras and shoot it at 160. The 160 will have less than half as much background fog and speed loss but will likely be fine for the typical hybrid scanning that minilabs give. Shoot it at 100 or 80 for fun.

You can try C41 reversal or some sort of lomography.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just shot a few rolls of Kodacolor that was sitting on a store shelf and was expired in 1998. Nice color shift to almost monochrome green. I'm sure if I printed color I couldmake some reasonable adjusted prints from it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    'I mean really really expired - not just past the date.'

You mean just past the date, I would consider 2002 - 2006 vaguely expired, not expired or 'really expired' or 'really really expired'.

I've used 400 speed old 10 year stuff @ 800 and 1600 with pretty good results, didn't see any fog, but I used a first developer as opposed to straight in a colour developer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Heck, we recently shot a 120 roll of Kodacolor II that expired in 1982, exposed at EI 50 (or maybe it was 25?), and had it processed at the local minilab. I won't call the color accurate, but it wasn't bad. I suppose it isn't really properly stabilized in a modern C-41 process, so it may fade...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin