Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilfochrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Les
    I have a ilford p3x 30 inch processor (bought new 1996-7) . I have been using the three contrast grades of cibachrome. For quite a while I used
    CLMK grade which is in the middle of the three contrast grades. I always found the ciba chrome paper lacking in the blue area of the colour gamut. Sky , Levis pants , did not seem to reproduce well.
    Recently we have been using the new Universal cibachrome for digital and traditional printing and I must admit the blue rendering is quite good. In fact we try to use this paper for all our printing as the contrast,colour saturation, and modulation is far superior than the two grades. CLMK and CFK.
    I suspect this paper is the old cibachrome paper , slightly modified to react to the Lambda exposing unit.
    We have seen a huge resurgence in this product in the last year and are quite happy(obviously) . As a printer of a lot of different medias in house I can honestly say cibachrome is a step above ink jet and ra4.
    This product can be printed in a Jobo and I would encourage photographers to try it. Getting help from Ilford could be troublesome but a few stores like B&H do stock the materials to make prints.
    One warning , the new product will give you headaches if you use a contrasty original, and making good masks are difficult but not impossible, therefore the need for the two lower contrast papers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Les and Bob:
    All is much clearer now. Keep us posted with these gems of info., they are so
    necessary, to keep us abreast of developments.

All is much clearer now. Keep us posted with these gems of info., they are so
    necessary, to keep us abreast of developments.[/QUOTE]

Stan, Cibacrhome has been Ilfochrome for oh - ten years. Ciba-Geigy got rid of their stake in Ilford in 1989 requiring the name change to Ilfochrome (it was always really an Ilford product from 1963 when Ciba-Geigy joined with Ilford) Not exactly a recent development.... :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Recently we have been using the new Universal cibachrome for digital and traditional printing and I must admit the blue rendering is quite good.
    What is the Universal Cibachrome (I assume it is Ilfochrome)? A code # would be helpfull.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi l Gebhard

the name of the paper is CPS1K Universal Cat#1433429
    This paper we use on the Lambda and on traditional enlarger
    I beleive it is the original emulsion from the 80"s that we used before the lower contrast papers of the 90's were introduced
    If you know how to make contrast masks with highlight seperators you can use this paper for all applications on a traditional enlarger.
    I prefer this paper over the lower contrast versions for many reasons. the main reason would be its ability to record the blue spectrum of transparancies.
    When Ciba Geigi sold to International Paper , Ilford had to change the name therefore ilfochrome, this has led to a lot of confusion as Ilford was or is offering a lower price paper which used direct printing techniques. A lot of people confused the two products . therefore I have continued to call this cibachrome - developed in P3X chemistry
    hope this helps
    Bob Carnie

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    To Larry and others interested in cibachrome

A couple of months ago I posted thoughts on availability of ciba products, I stated I would do my best to get better info from the source , I have spoken to reliable sources within Ilford and here is what I have been told.
    The Rc version of cibachrome is indeed being phased out, except for 50 inch rolls of pearle
    Most of the cps line, cfk line and clmk cut sheet line is being held intact , 50inch roll to 11inch roll will be available.
    P3x chemistry will be available for the above,

Ilford has openly admitted that they are indeed in trouble as we all have been discussing, but they are ademant that this restructuring will indeed be done and I believe them . Supply to North America will be strained these next few months, an email of support to Ilford US would be helpful as you all can imagine the stressful period they are going through right now.

If any one has 30 boxes of Ilford Warmtone 11x14 glossy please Email .

I have no idea the situation with Black and White as this product was manufactured in England, not the Swiss Plant which I understand is not in any problem

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    To Larry and others interested in cibachrome

A couple of months ago I posted thoughts on availability of ciba products, I stated I would do my best to get better info from the source , I have spoken to reliable sources within Ilford and here is what I have been told.
    The Rc version of cibachrome is indeed being phased out, except for 50 inch rolls of pearle
    Most of the cps line, cfk line and clmk cut sheet line is being held intact , 50inch roll to 11inch roll will be available.
    P3x chemistry will be available for the above,

Ilford has openly admitted that they are indeed in trouble as we all have been discussing, but they are ademant that this restructuring will indeed be done and I believe them . Supply to North America will be strained these next few months, an email of support to Ilford US would be helpful as you all can imagine the stressful period they are going through right now.

If any one has 30 boxes of Ilford Warmtone 11x14 glossy please Email .

I have no idea the situation with Black and White as this product was manufactured in England, not the Swiss Plant which I understand is not in any problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin