Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,334   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilfochrome

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfochrome

Please excuse my ignorance, but is Ilfochrome the same material as Ilford Cibachrome? I suspect that it is an updated product, rebranded. From the Ilford website it appeared to me to be used the same as Cibachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Please excuse my ignorance, but is Ilfochrome the same material as Ilford Cibachrome? I suspect that it is an updated product, rebranded. From the Ilford website it appeared to me to be used the same as Cibachrome.
    Ilfochrome is the new version of Cibachrome. Ciba-Geigy used to own Ilford many years ago but some time ago when they sold Ilford the brand name of the product went with Ilford and was changed. I understand that there have been some modifications but it is basically the same product.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Les.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And another thanks, Les. I just picked up two Ilfochrome enlargements that are color saturated and every bit as luminescent as the old Cibachrome. Unique indeed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And another thanks, Les. I just picked up two Ilfochrome enlargements that are color saturated and every bit as luminescent as the old Cibachrome. Unique indeed.
    Yes, perhaps - but will it last as long as the Ciba? I think not....Stan. L-B

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stan,

I have looked at the Ilford website and the Ilfochrome description is the same as the Cibachrome of the past except now it is available in three contrast grades instead of one. I don't know if the material is branded differently in the UK than in the US, but it seems to be exactly the same as the Cibachrome enlargements we have had made in the past, with the same luminous, almost porcelain or metallic glow. It is said to last 25 years unprotected and 50 years behind glass.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stan,

I have looked at the Ilford website and the Ilfochrome description is the same as the Cibachrome of the past except now it is available in three contrast grades instead of one. I don't know if the material is branded differently in the UK than in the US, but it seems to be exactly the same as the Cibachrome enlargements we have had made in the past, with the same luminous, almost porcelain or metallic glow. It is said to last 25 years unprotected and 50 years behind glass.
    Les & gma
    If it be true that the new Inforchrome process in now the same as the old Cibachrome the there must have been quite a turn around by Ilford as the processes are in the reverse.

With the original colour printing papers such as R14 by Kodak and Ilfords equilivant, the colour is introduced into the emulsion by chemical action.

By contrast, Cibachrome has the colour dyes pre-coated into the emulsion at the manufacturning stage, the processing removes those not required for the final image. I hope I have made my point.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    By contrast, Cibachrome has the colour dyes pre-coated into the emulsion at the manufacturning stage, the processing removes those not required for the final image. I hope I have made my point.

I believe it is called a "dye-destruction" process. It has always been my belief that only the name changed when Ilford bought the Cibachrome name from Ciby-Geigy.
    I would trust Les in this since he works for Ilford sometimes.
    lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know Ilfochrome is made in the same factory in Switzerland as Cibachrome was made although as David said in his post they have modified Ilfochrome by introducing 3 different contrasts. When International Papers sold Ilford to the Hanson group a few years ago Ciba Gigy and the factory in Marley in Switzerland was part of the deal. Ilford have since been subject to another change of owner, a management buy out I think, but the Marley factory is still part of the business. I often talk to the head of research there about digital inks and papers which is why I know that it's still part of Ilford. I'll check with Ilford UK tomorrow as to what differences, if any, there are between Cibachrome and Ilfochrome and post the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Further to my last post on this subject I spoke to Ilford this morning and they confirmed that Ilfochrome is the same product as Cibachrome. The only change is the creation of 3 different contrasts and in fact the new high contrast is virtually the same as the old Cibachrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin