Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,286   Online: 1158

Thread: Color fixer?

Shooter
    35mm

Color fixer?

Hello,
    I've seen many times references to the use of color fixers for both color and B&W materials.
    But looking at the color chemistry sold over here, there's no fixer - there is a 'stabilizer' (for instance, in Fuji's C-41 film kit).

Is this the fixer?

Thanks,

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, the stabilizer is like Sistan, used as a preservative bath last thing and not rinsed off. The color fixer is a buffered fixer, probably one of the alkalie fixers, so it doesn't affect the color dyes adversely. It works just as well on B&W materials.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Gary

Then I'm at loss. Looking at color chems for sale over here, there are (literal translations, besides stabilizer):
    - bleach starter
    - development starter

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the process you are looking at using a separate bleach and fix or is it a "blix" with the bleach and fix combined? That may explain the lack of a separate fixer.

This link may be of some help:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/pho..._chemicals.htm

If they don't sell the kit, mix your own from scratch.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    Then I'm at loss. Looking at color chems for sale over here, there are (literal translations, besides stabilizer):
    - bleach starter
    - development starter
    Jorge,
    there are several Color Kits availiable. If a kit contains starters, then it is for a process that can be replenished. This is only useful for lager tanks or dedicated processing equipment.
    The original C-41 Process has a seperate stage for bleach and fix whereas most compatible Kits have a combined stage (bleachfix or blix), where all silver and silver halides are removed in one process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just became curious and decided to take a look at store prices for color chemicals (even mixing at home is not free).
    It seems all the kits, as Thilo posted, are of the combined stage (blix) type.
    So, I will keep mixing my own fixer (hypo+ammonium sulfate+ etc).

Thanks, guys

Jorge O

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin