Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,660   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Short movie film shot as still film processing

Hi Guys-
    I know that some of us here have been upset that there is now no tungsten film that is left and some have talked about the movie films like the Vision 500T. I found this website here that will sell you short lengths of the film which you could wind into a 35mm cassette I suppose but who would process short lenghts of this film? Would we have to splice a whole bunch of 36 exp roll together that we shot and have them processed all at once by a motion picture lab but who would even do that. Anyways, here is what I found.

http://www.tapesuperstore.com/kovi50cone35.html

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What would happen with C-41 processing? I am going to try to get a hold of a cine lab that is only about 10 min from my house and see if they would proces short pieces.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fresh stuff should look pretty decent in C-41, my 14+ year old 500T looks like arse in a standard developer, dmin isnt far away from dmax, 'overexposure' + high contrast developer + restrainer is needed to get a good range out of it.

Dont run it through a lab, the remjet partially comes off in any alkali solution, if you have a tank at home, you can give it a hit both with a little hydroxide with lots of agitation for several minutes, then tip it out and do it again with a fresh hydroxide bath, I've found if you do it right the second bath comes out clear and you've managed to get all the remjet off without having to wipe it with anything ("all" - might be a slight trace of it left on the back sometimes - but it doesnt come out in further chemical steps), and nothing gets into my developer when processing after that, you'd need to rinse in water after that, dry it and get it back into the canister for processing.

There's a ECN-2 pictorial recipe on here, which I tried on the expired Vision1 500T I have shot @ 100 speed shot in 5600K light, worked quite well, grainy though, recipe and exposure needs tweaking, I used CD-4 instead of CD-3 for this too.

Recipe I used:
    Processed in 300ml solution with:
    0.6g Sodium Sulphite
    0.42g Potassium Bromide
    7.68g Sodium Carbonate
    0.81g Sodium Bicarbonate
    0.66g CD-4 (1.5ml of Part-C of Kodak Flexicolor Minilab Developer Replenisher).

Got some CD-2 powder on the way I might try it with instead..

If you have access to colour chems, I mixing up a 2-bath "C-41" developer will work quite well, as the remjet wont budge in the first bath provided its not alkali (which you shouldnt make it), only in the second bath which is fine.. usually just water, alkali and a touch of bromide.

I've also developed without pre-removing the remjet (one shot), dissolves into the developer, I havent found it to affect the results or stick to the film.

Going to try some of the 50D tomorrow in a sheet film holder (ive only got it in 16mm reels).

Last edited by Athiril; 04-08-2010 at 11:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Movie film has a 'rem-jet' anti-halation backing that will play Holy Hell with a c-41 developing line.

The only choices are a cine lab or doing it yourself.

Apug thread on diy movie negative processing.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The movie lab right near my house can process short pieces!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this has come up many,many times on this forum in the past. Don't waste your time. Typically anything shorter than 200ft gets thrown away by the camera department. No sense in buying it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    this has come up many,many times on this forum in the past. Don't waste your time. Typically anything shorter than 200ft gets thrown away by the camera department. No sense in buying it.

?? I can buy pieces shorter than 200 ft so whay would there be no sense in buying it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Removing antihalation baching (graphite) is difficult and has the risks.
    Fuji negatives (motion picture films) have not antihalation baching. http://www.fujifilm.com/products/mot...ucts/#negative
    I use ECN 2 process, without prebath, for photo film - not C 41.
    Process ECN-2 Specifications: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/h2407.pdf
    George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    ?? I can buy pieces shorter than 200 ft so whay would there be no sense in buying it?
    I'm saying free film which is destined for the dumpster is much cheaper than buying it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    f anyone wants to collect <200ft for me I'd be happy to recycle it :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin