Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,605   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iodine is an oxidant. As such it could function as a bleach and form an Iodide salt of Silver metal. However, betadine is rendered very weak for application to human skin. I have never heard of it being used as a successful bleach.

I suspect no, or very little bleaching is taking place in spite of the post. After all, there is no proof one way or the other as the post lacks any reference. OTOH, the Betadine may be oxidizing leuco dye which might be otherwise colorless. IDK. All speculation until all of the checks and balances are properly presented.

This was a single stimulus experiment which gives us an open ended result from which no conclusion can be drawn. Please remember that. I stand in bewildered awe at the number of people who accept a statement with no proof one way or another in this regard.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't wish to rain on anyones parade, but I will hint that gloves come with hair dye for a reason. Paraphenylene Diamine (PPD) although quite safe can cause sensitisation of the skin. If you do get sensitised, watch out as you can get quite a reaction when re-exposed, and if you've ever dyed your hair and had irritation.....

I'd also suggest wearing gloves anyway, as the stuff stinks and will quite happily stain your skin, and especially your nails
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PPD also gives very poor dyes both for hue and stability in addition to being the most "unpleasant" for use by humans due to its tendency to cause dermatitis.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi All, Neelin found some info on using Iodine.

"Here is an interesting tidbit from:
    "The Ilford Manual of Photography", Edited by Alan Horder, 5th ed. 1958. Appendix 12 (p659)

Ilford IR-4 Iodine Reducer
    For local or general reduction of prints

STOCK SOLUTION
    16g Potassium Iodide
    4g Iodine
    1l Water

WORKING STRENGTH
    For use, dilute 1 part of stock solution with 19 parts water. After reduction, rinse and re-fix in a 20% plain hypo bath. Wash the print thoroughly before drying."

So it has been used as a reducer in the past at least.

Don't mean to be a buttinski, and I freely admit that I did fail chemistry. As far as the experiment goes, it was just that, an experiment.

After soaking in the Betadine 15-20 minutes, the film goes pink and a little paler at the edges. I don't know if it's the Iodine causing it or another ingredient.

I had been reading the instructions at the Latensification group on Flickr and saw that the guys were using rehal bleach. I didn't have any and I'm on a tight budget. I had the Betadine on hand and decided to try it after reading about halogens.

The best results I've got so far with the hair dye and Betadine was using Fomadon LQN (phenidone-hydroquinone) as the first dev. Here are a couple of examples.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2687/...9ac35ac61b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/...5bd55dc0ce.jpg

And yes I agree, use gloves and proper ventilation.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could always try out stuff. Yes there is the risk that you mess up a roll of film, but it could come out great with cool colors, weird contrast etc. Experimenting is awesome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pickles what country are you from? Ferricyanide is pretty cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Athiril, I'm in Florida, USA.

Shooter
    35mm
    But I'd need the Bromide too wouldn't I? That stuff sounds kind of scary...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you are all such experts at photo chemistry, I bow out.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I never once claimed to be an expert. I know I'm far far from it. That's why I'm asking questions.

What a welcome to the site. Thanks.

That's okay. I can talk to Athiril and neelin at Flickr. I've never been ruded out there for asking questions.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin