Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,616   Posts: 1,647,674   Online: 1001

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pickles;

Just a comment!

I spent 32 years developing processes and products for EK. I have no intent to diss you, but............

I have spent 32 years developing processes and products for EK. So...........

Think it over. I don't wnat to diss you but I have a lot of experience and I wish to pass it on!

I wish to continue to interact but I cannot in the face of others who interpose there "expertise".

Sorry and apologies.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Who was interposing with their "expertise"?

We were all having a conversation. What's to stop you from passing on your experience? Do you feel that no one else allowed to speak?

Just because you have 32 years of experience doesn't excuse uncalled for rudeness.

To everyone who read about the Betadine and hair dye experiment: It was all a hoax I perpetrated to waste everyone's time. God only knows why I did it. I sure didn't make any money. Could it have been for the sheer enjoyment of experimentation? No, that couldn't possibly be! Do not try it or you will be "interposing" on Sir Photo Engineer's expertise.

I reiterate. I cannot state this firmly enough. Do NOT try the Betadine and hair dye hoax!

Shooter
    127 Format
    6 posts. Not to be rude but one should spend some time learning the landscape. There are some brilliant people here that are willing to go out of their way to help. Yes, there are some peacocks too, PE is really not one of them. He gets ribbed by his friends for helping us so I hope we don't give them reason to gloat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I do get a hard time from friends for commenting here, and we have one of our group lunches coming up soon. I will probably hear from those who lurk here about "why are you doing this, why bother, ... etc?"

So yes, I do get discouraged. Iodine is not good for dyes. IDK and IDC if it was a hoax or not. If it was, it was a poor thing to do to the other members who don't know chemistry. If it was not, then something was left out because iodine would have bleached out the dyes for the most part and therefore the results are incomplete or in error.

pAmino Phenol is such a weak dye former anyhow, and makes such unstable dyes, I try to discourage anyone from using it or pPhenylene Diamine which has the same problems.

I don't wish to offend, I just get tired, especially after a hard day.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like sour pickles, but not when they get too sour...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to those who have been my friends and had fun with the Betadine and hair dye experiment but there are others online who are downgrading me and pretty much calling me a liar about it.

I cannot believe the Junior High School bullying mentality that some grown people retain.

It's made me feel pretty bad about an experiment that I got a lot of fun and satisfaction out of.

Lesson learned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, my feeling is that there is more about your "experiment" than you are saying. Maybe some left out steps or chemicals added in addition to what you state. Normally, Iodine would chemically react with the dyes rendering them different than what is observed. Iodine is like Chlorine in this respect. It can even destroy gelatin if you are not careful.

Its properties are such that it is not used as a bleach in photography.

OTOH, I know that Betadine is designed to lower the activity of the Iodine. But, that also lowers its activity as a bleach. However, the pAP dyes formed are very sensitive to this type of environment. Where does that leave us? In the dark until there are repeats of your process.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    No left out steps or ingredients. I've got color out of 5 rolls so far using the Betadine. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

I've taken down all my references to the experiment so hopefully no one else will bother you with questions about it. And hopefully no one will have a reason to link to me online ever again.

Like I said, lesson learned. Best wishes to all.
    Last edited by Pickles; 05-04-2010 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not posing as an expert, hope this wasn't a reference to me, all I've tried to state is what the guy who used betadine intended for it to be some kind of bleach (regardless of how poor a choice), which I think should be obvious to many apart from those who haven't processed colour before, given the placement of steps he disclosed on the flickr page.

I myself only try to offer something that may be useful to others from either something I've tried, or from bits of information I've gleened from others and yourself PE that I've tried tying together.

All the experiments I do are qualitive studies in nature, not quantitive, as I dont find that necessary for continued improvement, conclusions from results and leading to new ideas or experiments to try. At least for what I do.

I can also agree that pAP dyes are very poor, in fact even the best results I've gotten from experiments with it, trying to extract max colour out of it have been so thin as to be near invisible to the eye looking at the negative. So it'd be my opinion that pAP is not going to make a noticeable contribution the (colour) image.

I appreciate all the effort you put in everyday on helping others and myself, you've been one of the best sources for information - a lot of it comes from hours of searching and finding years old posts of yours in response to others, which continues to help now, I'm sure it helps a lot of others as well.

I think it's vitally important to preserve an accessible record of as much quality information as possible for future.. even current generations, rather than let it sit in some filing cabinet, or in some database records only to be never used again and not disclosed to the public and just let it disappear and fall out of use even after it becomes of no financial use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Athiril;

Your results are impressive and are what I expect reading your posts. Weak dyes and other problems but reasonable. I cannot comment on Pickles results fully as he pulled the data as soon as he was questioned. So, what can I say. Your results are here and visible.

IDK what is going on, but I have no time to follow up on this. Sorry. I think it is a blind alley though as I noted earlier due to the problems with pAP dyes and PPD dyes. This is compounded by the Betadine which is a random element with no checks and balances in the data.

PE

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin