Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,558   Online: 774

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, vinegar is very useful for cleaning those nasty stains that just won't come out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You cannot cook Lobster Thermidor by substituting a Filet!

PE
    Very funny. If you're trying to cook Lobster, you obviously aren't having to make do now are you?

But you can get wonky colors out of C-41 film with hair dye (1 tsp to 12 oz water), by substituting a Betadine and water solution for the Bleach step.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Pickles... you may be having a very bad day. or life. I hope you enjoy your photography because your people skills are sadly non-existant. I do not have enough bandwidth to absorb your bad energy.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're the one who came on with no provocation from me, calling me a sour pickle and comparing me to vinegar. If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen.

I'm having a very good day, thank you. Hope you are too. I'm overflowing with good energy. Seems like you're the one feeling down. Get better soon :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Pickles... you may be having a very bad day. or life. I hope you enjoy your photography because your people skills are sadly non-existant. I do not have enough bandwidth to absorb your bad energy.
    My sincere apologies. I thought you were the one who called me a sour pickle. My bad.

I don't know if you meant to compare me with vinegar or not, but I'd take that as a compliment anyway. Vinegar is so much more useful than honey IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Very funny. If you're trying to cook Lobster, you obviously aren't having to make do now are you?

But you can get wonky colors out of C-41 film with hair dye (1 tsp to 12 oz water), by substituting a Betadine and water solution for the Bleach step.
    It was meant to be funny. I changed my original post on purpose before posting it to make it that way.

In any event, you may or may not be right abut betadine and C41. It does not seem right to me. Perhaps you have destroyed or altered the mask or the dyes to some extent, but we will never know unless someone else duplicates your result. I must say though that I have seen some odd things happen by accidental chemical combinations. This does not mean that they are useful, valid dyes. I have seen metal salts in water complex with chemicals in coatings to give some very interesting colors that even form imagewise or even in reverse.

It seems to me that you have not convinced anyone to try and I have little time for this type of experiment. So, it is up to you to convince us without rancor to either believe or to repeat your experiment with success.

I add this for you. Remember what Chlorox does to some colored fabrics. And, take a drop of Iodine and let it touch a piece of Kleenex. Drop some Iodine onto starch! Put a drop onto your skin and then remember that skin is GELATIN << ta da... present in all color films today. These are all instant pseudo-dye formation reactions. Dye destruction by Iodine can go similarly.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    "It seems to me that you have not convinced anyone to try and I have little time for this type of experiment."

Wow. You're on here night and day. Seems like you must have a lot of spare time to me...

Here are some results from a person on Flickr who tried the hair dye and Betadine experiment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejdooli...7623473902169/

Please don't start insinuating that he is a liar too. I would hate for something like that to happen because I've posted this link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think what we have here is something that is working in a way that nobody thinks it should, but does anyway. May not be the best way, but it does appear to work. I think this quote covers it the best:

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'"
    - Isaac Asimov
    Lets tinker with it and see what happens. You don't have to use your best shots to tinker and have fun. And isn't that what this is all about?

And lets not forget that this is a text only medium here, so it's hard sometimes to read the true intentions of a message. We need the subtle vocal cues that this forum lacks.

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All I can say, is the betadine is having a serious negative affect (no pun intended) on the results, if you skipped it for basically a 'bleach bypass' and directly developed in a hair dye mixture instead of using a re-development process, results would likely be far superior.

If anyone wants to re-develop colour, the first fix is critical, and you need to make sure its done to completion, you also need a good bleach, ferricyanide+bromide would be the best combo rather than a commercial bleach, but on my re-development results I've shown I used Agfa C-41 bleach I just find it more convenient to use something I've already got in a bottle, followed by E-6 colour developer which gives me a green instead of orange base.

I'm sure you've seen neelin's result with hair dye, his isn't re-developed, he also used a ferricyanide bleach. It's not like ferricyanide is expensive.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neelin/...7623581710904/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Here are some results from a person on Flickr who tried the hair dye and Betadine experiment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejdooli...7623473902169/

Please don't start insinuating that he is a liar too. I would hate for something like that to happen because I've posted this link.
    I stated outright that I never called you a liar. Mistaken perhaps.

Maybe you didn't read my comments on Gelatin + Iodine above? Please consider that. Iodine will color gelatin and does so when applied to human flesh which is unrefined gelatin.

In the mean time, I see blurs of color in the reference URL, but nothing that compares with the results posted by others such as Athiril. It may be fun and if so, go to it.

PE

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin