Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,396   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Makeshift C-41 developer with hair dye and betadine

There is this topic on flickr; link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2782071...7623463887609/

of course colors are not that great, and very faint.
    Nonetheless i didnt understand the process well, can someone explain me better step by step, and tell what's the effect of each chem, the old roll is used for agin i didnt understood, and also the betadine an day light.
    I am thinking of doing this with caffenol(coffee and sodawash only) instead of hair dye, would this work?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I'm remembering correctly, paraphenylenediamene (ppd) is the main component in hair dye, and most color developing agents are based on ppd. Ppd itself was used as a very fine grain developer, but it is extremely slow and usually causes a loss of film speed; it will form dyes in color film, but it's far slower than a real color developer.
    Betadine appears to contain iodine. C-41 developer contains some form of iodine, which I think is used to keep the dye layers developing at the proper rate so the colors are accurate. Though that may not be the purpose of betadine in this formula since the colors are obviously not accurate at all.
    I don't think caffeine would form dyes in color film, but it's certainly worth a try. Many things will form a color image, for example, p-aminophenol (the developing agent in agfa rodinal) and phenidone (one of the developing agents in xtol), but any developer other than the "real" one will give you incorrect colors and probably a very faint image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The use of betadine is probably not needed in this case. Its use certainly is not as stated in post #2. Any Iodine would have to be in the developer, during development for the beneficial effect to take place.

As for PPD, it can cause dye formation but the dyes would be degraded and unstable. Much of the dye formation would go towards making a "bis" coupled compound, and I doubt if that would be a good dye.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice to see you on APUG

You really need a proper bleach if you're going to be re-developing. This would improve results, as colour is re-developed through whatever has been bleached back, all layers need to be fully bleached back for best and full-colour results. Your first fix is critical for re-development and must be done to absolute completion for both even and fog-free results, not sure what rapid first fix is, I'd also test that out on a strip of undeveloped colour film to see if its doing its job in that time.

You might find it quicker to improve your colour developer formulation by direct developing in the colour developer and not re-developing, do you know what the pH is? I'd aim for a relatively high pH with some restrainer added.

First Develop in Rodinal: Forms B&W negative.
    Fix: Removes undeveloped silver halide.
    Bleach: Turns developed silver back into undeveloped silver halide, silver halide layers are now a mask for colour developing.
    Exposure to light: Makes sure silver-halide is fully developable.
    Colour Developer: Forms colour dyes 'as-is' using the silver halide layers as masks essentially
    Bleach: Turns developed silver back to silver halide.
    Fix: Removes remaining silver halide.

First fix and bleach really need attention and done to completion evenly on all layers for a good colour image, if you get those right the rest will go smoothly. (example http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiril/4162208476/)

Otherwise I'd suggest going straight in the colour developer and try refinining the formula.
    Last edited by Athiril; 04-13-2010 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen C-41 films that had been developed in Caffenol. It doesn't form dyes, just a silver image.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks all

@tenny i am talking about developing c-41 and being able to get colors.

@athiril, thanks for the help, btw do i know you ?
    I am trying to develope a color processing method with only grocery store or readily available chemicals.

But the more i research the more i see it is getting a bit difficult.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Assumed you were Martie Bell on flickr, whom I've talked to on flickr a few times.

Sticking with ppd sources would be your best bet then, I've seen people here talk about adding hydrogen peroxide to colour developer for more contrast (which is something I need to ask about actually, as it could be very useful for me). I've also seen it referenced as a a colour forming developer on its own which I didnt understand, or maybe I misunderstood the what was being said.

You can make your own good bleach, but I think using a commercial colour bleach would solve most of your problems, and would help isolate any problems down to the developer first, as well as giving 6 agitations divided into your developing time at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hydrogen Peroxide will not form dyes on its own. It will boost the color forming activity of any other color developer. It may cause crossver though and the developer does not last long.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah. So then the result is more colour dye formed per x amount of silver developed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Ah. So then the result is more colour dye formed per x amount of silver developed?
    Yes.

PE

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin