Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,395   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is Portra 400NC newer tech. film than 160NC + colour neg definitive list

Hi there, been shooting Portra 400NC over 160NC and Im wondering whether the 400NC is newer and improved technology than the Portra 160NC.....not knowing the answer I would say the 400NC is the last Portra colour neg film Kodak have created to date.....why? cos to me it looks like a 100 asa film in terms of grain etc and the palette is superb and dare I say even nicer than 160NC when overexposed to 320 asa.....

Perhaps this is a good thread to list current colour negative film births and revamps.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, the Portras (160 and 400) were revamped in late 2006 to version 2. In early 2008, the 400s were revised again, giving us 400NC-3 and 400VC-3. The 160s were not revised at this time. Here's a Kodak document describing the new 400s.

From what I understand, 800 is on it's 3rd revision, though only two have been labeled (800 and 800-2). 800-2 was supposedly revised at some point, but the label stayed the same.

So as far as I know, the most recently updated Portras were the 400s. Followed by the 160s, then by 800. As far as generation of tech, it looks like the 400 is out in the lead, with the 800 and 160s on the same level.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just the info i was after....thanks so much....very informative!

to my eyes Portra 400NC is as fine-grained and slightly diff. palette than Portra 160NC...though i could be wrong of course!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Well, the Portras (160 and 400) were revamped in late 2006 to version 2. In early 2008, the 400s were revised again, giving us 400NC-3 and 400VC-3. The 160s were not revised at this time. Here's a Kodak document describing the new 400s.

From what I understand, 800 is on it's 3rd revision, though only two have been labeled (800 and 800-2). 800-2 was supposedly revised at some point, but the label stayed the same.

So as far as I know, the most recently updated Portras were the 400s. Followed by the 160s, then by 800. As far as generation of tech, it looks like the 400 is out in the lead, with the 800 and 160s on the same level.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just seen all your tests on Flickr and wanna thank you for taking the time to do it for the people......

What are your conclusions on the films.....I'm sold on Portra so Im wondering how good the 800 version is too and was wondering what YOU think of the 160 compared to the 400NC's......

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Those were all scanned, so I didn't really discuss them here. But, all of them are pretty consistent in their look. 800 was a bit different, but don't know if that was due to the scanning or the actual film.

They all handled -1 to +3 exposure pretty well, though proper exposure or +1 looked the best to me. The VCs are a bit more saturated, but they all look good. I'll probably standardize on one of the 400s for my type of shooting, with some 160 thrown in for sunny days. And I like Portra more than Ektar.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Photo Engineer tells me to expose the 160NC at 100 film speed and the 400NC at 320 film speed and those work well for me.....tested the films at said film speeds in these Communion shoots I did for some private clients daughters and son......the girls are with 160Nc and the boy is with 400NC. I purposely sought out high contrast tricky scenes to see how the film handled...wanted to see how blown out it compares with that evil thing digital! hahahha

Last edited by sperera; 04-14-2010 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sperera, everything about those snaps you posted reminds me of the reasons I love film. They're beautiful!

I've always shot 160NC at 100 as well. Even though there's little more than half a stop different, I always felt like that made the skin tones a little better, a little more faithful to the way I always felt my images should look on the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sperera,
    these photographs are brilliant - posing, light, color, bokeh.. everything.
    I'm little curious, did you used external flash?
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the love guys.....
    no flash at all.....on any of them.....hand held metering and reflectors thats it...hence the blown out highlights and no balancing.....purposely done

Quote Originally Posted by stevco View Post
    Sperera,
    these photographs are brilliant - posing, light, color, bokeh.. everything.
    I'm little curious, did you used external flash?
    Last edited by sperera; 04-14-2010 at 05:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice shots.
    Did those shadows go blue/cyan at all?
    Did you do any corrections in the shadows?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin