Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,295   Online: 1080

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fuji pro 400 H

Shooter
    127 Format
    There's a lot of love out there for Portra 160nc but in the Southern California sun my Portra pictures always look washed out or pastel-y. (don't care for Fuji 160 S or C either)

I think I'll try some Fuji Pro 400H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wblynch,

make sure to use a UV filter here in So-cal, really helps! you can also use a skylight-1a filter which helps to warm things up a tad as well.

cheers!

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    There's a lot of love out there for Portra 160nc but in the Southern California sun my Portra pictures always look washed out or pastel-y. (don't care for Fuji 160 S or C either)

I think I'll try some Fuji Pro 400H.

Portra is really true to color. This works against you if you don't correct with filters for situations you describe. Once you correct the WB through filters, your pictures will look right.
    Web Site and Blog Follow me on Twitter Mamiya RB67, several 35MM cameras and an old Voigtlander Bessy that I use as a paperweight

Shooter
    127 Format
    Portra is so true you need correction. No Thanks. I'd rather shoot Gold 100 or Ektar or Fujicolor.

Actually I don't think Portra is true because it doesn't register the colors I saw at the scene. If I have to adjust white balance for every situation I might as well succumb to the digital monster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can adjust color balance to overcome white balance problems in post processing stage by changing the filtration. This is how the digital monster works.

Portra has incredible exposure latitude, which also means good chances to be able to correct for color casts, if you just give enough exposure to avoid placing blue curve on the toe. Well this is true to almost any color neg film. Take advice, but don't believe everything on the Internet to the letter... Everything's so relative, depending on one's needs and taste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Hi Ben,
    You've been shooting color film longer than I've been alive. But I've seen a fair amount of color prints from ye olden days, and the difference in color, contrast, detail, and grain is startling between now and then.
    Then we pick up a Hasselblad camera from the 1960s and make perfect pictures with it, and I doubt their modern lenses are noticeably better to the naked eye.
    Very true statement.
    - Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    They've known how to make good cameras and lenses for a long time, but the manufacturers are under great pressure to re-invent the wheel on a regular basis to keep the wheels of industry turning and ensure their continued existence. the advent of digital imaging has been a godsend for them, and enabled them to sell millions of cameras to people who already have them.
    Ben

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin