Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,113   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Multi Format

Should I stabilize

I sometimes shoot some older, expired, but well refrigerated C-41 films like Kodak Ultrachrome and the older Portra 160NC. I then usually have them processed by a commercial lab, probably using the current C-41 technology. Should I restabilize these negatives using a formaldehyde based stabilizer, or will they be OK as is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many modern C41 systems are washless so you might want to wash the negatives then stabilise but the problem is handling cut strips.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will have magenta dye fade and formation of a brown stain unless formalin is used. The films were not designed for a washless process as are modern films, so Ian is correct to point this out.

PE

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use older 160NC and also Fuji 160S, and always follow the wash with a formalin/photo-flo stabilizer. When I am too lazy to bother mixing photo-flo I use the same stabilizer for B&W film. I cannot comment on PE's remarks because I have always finished color films with stabilizer, both for E-6 and C-41, and (I hate to admit it) for C-22 and E-3.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin