Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,279   Online: 1133

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Why is there Fix Starter?

ok I probably should know this but i don't so rather than just go on without knowing im going to ask...Why does Ilfochrome have a Fix Starter? Its the only process I know which has one and I don't know why its needed or what happens if I don't use it when tanking up...... so anyone out there have any idea?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stephen,
    Hunt RA4 has a starter for it's chemistry. Without the starter it should be used for replenishment.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The starter solutions for Ilfochrome dev, bleach and fix chemistry are used in replenished systems to balance the system activity such that performance is similar to that obtained from used chemistry. In the absence of starter the performance drops rapidly with use then stabilises with replenishment. When used correctly the use of starter will give roughly constant performance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I understand all of this, what i dont understand is what makes Ilfochrome fix diffrent to all other fixes in that it needs a starter why does ilfochrome fix need starter chemistry when black and white fixer doesnt, when c-41 or e-6 etc doesnt???
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stephen,
    I could only suggest that the replenisher is stable and needs a kick other wise. The only true answer would be to look at the kits and the replenisher. To see what the make up is in each.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I understand all of this, what i dont understand is what makes Ilfochrome fix diffrent to all other fixes in that it needs a starter why does ilfochrome fix need starter chemistry when black and white fixer doesnt, when c-41 or e-6 etc doesnt???
    I should know this but it's been 8 years since I left Ilford and my memory has let me down. Chemically, Fix starter additive and Fix rep part A are very similar, including pH. So it's not obvious why you need it. Maybe it was a marketing ploy to sell more chemicals!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am just theorizing here; have not used the process. Might this be for a roller transport without washes between developer, bleach and fix? So there could be carry over that the replnisher is expecting to conteract to maintain the right pH to work best. With no residual carry over when the tansk are freesh, a starter might be needed to 'muddy the waters'?

I ancecdotally recall that the bleach in some P processes was strongly acidic,and that the used developer (alkaline) was held back to mix and neutralize the bleach prior to disposal.

Hope this helps others to think of why the starter is needed here.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin