Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,146   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

[RA4] Printing Cross-Processed Negs

A better title may be trying to print cross-processed negs!

I've avoided cross-processing for years, mostly because of examples on flickr where 'Xpro' means rendering any neg as an acidic, neon, LSD trip by aggressive use of photoshop.

As I no longer shoot slides I thought I'd try crossing one of my remaining rolls of 320T. I'm trying to print one of those negs.

My issue is that I'm almost out of yellow to remove. Currently my filter pack is 15Y, 35M and I've still got a purple cast. I'm aiming for more-or-less 'normal' skin tones. And my test prints seem to show that the whole image can be quite 'normal' looking.

How to remove purple when you're almost out of yellow? Should I introduce cyan? Perhaps adding equal parts magenta / Cyan?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Its been awhile

0 yellow
    increase magenta number
    increase cyan number

effect adding red and green in equal amounts will make yellow which you seem to want.
    you will have to play with the cyan and magenta numbers when you get close.

Every 10 units of magenta will lighten your print by 1/3 so you need to compensate in density

hope this helps

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    0 yellow
    increase magenta number
    increase cyan number
    Thanks!
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    purple means red and blue right? Thus you must subtract cyan and yellow or add magenta, because if something is yellow you must add yellow to remove the cast and if something is blue you must remove yellow to correct it.

You may find the contrast is too high in which case you can add sodium sulphite to the developer however your color balance will change so it's a laborious process.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    purple means red and blue right?
    More blue than red, I think. I'd been playing with adding magenta as well as subtracting yellow to remove the cast. The yellow seemed to be working better as magenta was introducing some green I think. A tricky neg.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can try taking out one color at a time. Make a series of confirming strips. Also it helps to overcorrect because it's much easier to interpolate than extrapolate.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A question: Did you shoot this film in daylight or flash? If so, there is a huge part of your problem. It is a tungsten-balanced film.

FYI, "blue" in color printing actually looks more like what most would call lavender/purple. This explains why using yellow to alter the cast was working better.

My first suggestion would be to go ahead and zero out the yellow. You are already at only 15, so why not go all the way? What stopped you?

Then, when you are out of yellow, start using your cyan filtration. Upping that filter will add red to the print (which is equal amounts of magenta and yellow). You can use magenta filtration to counteract the magenta that is introduced when upping the cyan filtration, while leaving the yellow there. To start I would do it like so: Whatever you add in cyan filtration, also add half as much in magenta filtration.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-25-2010 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot in daylight, bracketing from 0 to +1.5 stops.

The only reason I stopped at 15Y was to let the print dry so I could proper inspect it. I had started at 35Y/35M, I'd read a post here from PE where he said that adding 50 red is a good start for crossed negs. My normal starting values for regular negs are around 80M/80Y.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shooting a tungsten film in daylight makes for a heavily blue picture...and then add cross processing on top of it...and you have what you have!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Fair enough!

I'd read online that tungsten film can cross well and produce relatively 'normal' pictures, especially skin tones. As I've got a bit of 320T here, I thought I'd try this out and see what the look was like. So far, so blue, but hopefully a nice photo can be filtered into existence.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin