Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,244   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Won't work. Sorry.

It must be processed first, then it fades, and then you apply this treatment.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If anyone is really interested, I will ask around and get more information on the possible Kodak films that can be "fixed" this way.
    How about 8mm Ektachrome shot in the early and mid 70s that has gone magenta? Any information you can find would be appreciated.

RPC

Shooter
    35mm
    So I gather that it depends on the type of film and the actual chemicals involved. I was wondering if the colour couplers were still present in the faded film if they could be restored by some form of reprocessing. I will pass this all on to my friend, I think the way to go will be to get a good scan done first before trying anything. If re bleaching does restore some colour then can scan again and photoshop will have a bit more to work with.
    If my friend still wants a transparency then there are companies who will produce a slide from a digital file.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Won't work. Sorry.

It must be processed first, then it fades, and then you apply this treatment.

PE
    Oh, well...
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Is there a similar procedure for restoring old RA-4 photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    PE,

Is there a similar procedure for restoring old RA-4 photos?
    If they fade to red, and if the dye forming coupler is in the leuco form, this same method will work.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried this procedure on old Eastman 16mm print film that has gone red. My friend provided the sample.

Didn't work on this film .

The test procedure was;

Presoak for ~1 min
    K ferricyanide 50 g/l for ~10 min
    Wash with running water for ~3 min
    Re-develop with Rodinal (1+10 for ~2 min) (Because ferricyanide bleaches the optical (silver) sound track away.)
    Wash with running water for ~5 min
    Stabilize with Jobo "3-bath E6 stabilizer" (with formalin), double strength for ~2 min.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old_print_before.jpg   old_print_after.jpg  
    Last edited by hrst; 04-27-2010 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either the dye forming materials are totally destroyed, or this is not the type of cyan coupler that regenerates.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is off the limits of Apug, but by means of algorithms, based on specific dye degrading over time, digital restoration has been done.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-27-2010 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: deletion of hint at analogue approach

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    I tried this procedure on old Eastman 16mm print film that has gone red. My friend provided the sample.

Didn't work on this film .

The test procedure was;

Presoak for ~1 min
    K ferricyanide 50 g/l for ~10 min
    Wash with running water for ~3 min
    Re-develop with Rodinal (1+10 for ~2 min) (Because ferricyanide bleaches the optical (silver) sound track away.)
    Wash with running water for ~5 min
    Stabilize with Jobo "3-bath E6 stabilizer" (with formalin), double strength for ~2 min.
    This process that was suggested was provided as a shot in the dark [pun intended] to save the transparency.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin