Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,195   Online: 747

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd pick either Kodak or Fuji, and then pick either a 160 high-contrast high saturation film (Kodak VC or Fuji C) or a 160 low-contrast low saturation film (Kodak NC or Fuji S). If you are shooting a hand-held 4x5, I would pick Portra 400NC.

In 4x5, Kodak has:

160NC
    160VC
    400NC

...and Fuji has:

160S
    160C

Both Fuji films are discontinued, but are often still in stock at retailers. It is a shame, because while I prefer Kodak for when the weather is sunny and clear (or with flash), IME the Fuji handles color casts from non-sunny weather much better.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-01-2010 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodak has Ektar too, Fuji has their range of E-6 in 4x5.

Is there any actual evidence on that discontinuation? I haven't seen any, I've only seen the current line up on the Fuji site stating what films are available in what sizes, and it states Reala, 160NS, 160NC, 800 are all available in various sizes.

Also those films are available directly from Fuji's online shop in sheet sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not mention Ektar for the same reason one would generally not mention Efke IR 820 or Rollei IR to someone asking for a good all-around b/w film for landscapes: because I would only consider it a very special-purpose film, not something to have as my only film on a big trip...but yes, if you want your landscapes to look like a child's Crayola drawings or tempera paintings, there is Ektar as well!

There was a whole giant thread on the Fuji discontinuances. Fuji announced the discontinuation to their U.S. dealers, for sure. (Are e-mails to U.S. dealers enough evidence?) It does not mean that they and retailers still don't have some to sell. S is supposedly coming back after some packaging changes, but not C.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-01-2010 at 05:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ektar would be a great film for landscapes, that is one of the things it is suited for.

No they aren't enough, they're not able to be called evidence either, that is hearsay. When you say a film is discontinued, that means its not going to be made anymore, at all, not simply not distributed to the U.S. market, which is what this hearsay suggests.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar, or any film, is only a "great film for" WHATEVER subject if you are after its particular look for those particular photos. There are no such things as "landscape films" or "portrait films". Only films with certain characteristics, and people who decide what characteristics they want for certain pix. To simply call a film a "great film for landscapes" does the OP and all other films a disservice, and misses the point that we should determine what our photographs look like by choosing a film, not let a film determine what our photographs look like because someone says it is a "landscape film".

I maintain that Ektar's characteristics make it a special-purpose film only.

Read that thread. All Fujicolor Pro films are gone except for 400H. This is old news now.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-02-2010 at 04:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You must have a different definition of evidence than me.. to me the definition of evidence includes some kind of proof to ascetain the truth or facts of a matter.

If you are going to make such claims, then provide evidence for these claims, or retract those claims. Hearsay is not evidence.

Ektar is a general purpose film, well suited to landscape and nature photography. You can use whatever reasoning you want to disclude it as a recommendation, but it seems to me that is simply a device for you to discredit and not include it because you don't like it for your work, or are set in your ways.

What you're saying about Ektar, is the same rubbish people say about Velvia, which is totally crap, there are plenty of neutral and natural looking Velvia images.

I wonder what Kodak was to say about their own film Ektar, which they should know better than anyone.. hmm,
    "Recommended applications:

* nature
    * travel
    * outdoor photography
    * fashion
    * product photography "

That almost sounds... very diverse and general purpose, and especially suited to what the OP wants.

I disagree that is a "special purpose only" film and say its very general purpose for almost any subject, who are you to define that it is a "special purpose only" film for anyone other than yourself? Trying to argue such a point on usage for other people is absolutely ridiculous.

Furthermore, I define how my work looks, not the film I shoot it with, my tools and medium do not define my work like you suggest it does, only I do that, one film or not. I choose my look with composition, perspective/lens size, lighting, exposure, filtering, etc, I also choose my look through the various things I can do in processing, and by choosing my contrast, among other things.

I can totally see how you could confuse the two, and think the second was shot on Ektar and the first image was drawn with crayons.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-02-2010 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Letters to vendors from Fuji are not hearsay, nor are press releases, nor are interviews with Fuji employees. All of these sources are the only things that have provided the information on the discontinuances. You should talking about it as if it is a rumor, because it definitely is not one.

You have to be joking quoting a manufacturer's recommended uses for their film as an argument. This is like people who quote camera instruction manuals for rules on photographing.

Take a picture like the digital thing you posted, on a day with similar weather as the kid depicted, and compare to a real crayon or tempera picture. Subtract for the element of exaggeration, and you will see the similarities.

Nobody is saying it is a bad film. Just that it is not anywhere near middle of the road, which is what a general-purpose film is. If the OP had specified certain criteria, such as intense saturation, then I would have included Ektar in my list. My list of films was only meant to cover what I had suggested in my previous paragraph, and that it did.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-02-2010 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is exactly what hearsay is. You have not provided any bit of evidence, only third hand hearsay.

Again, I refute that, it is an excellent general purpose film, you have no business in deciding it is not for others.

My local Fuji place told me the exact same thing about discontinuation about the same products over a year ago.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-02-2010 at 07:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    You must have a different definition of evidence than me.. to me the definition of evidence includes some kind of proof to ascetain the truth or facts of a matter.

[...]

I can totally see how you could confuse the two, and think the second was shot on Ektar and the first image was drawn with crayons.
    Well sir, i put it to you that neither of the images you have shown the jury was drawn using crayons, and that neither of the two is an image that could be regarded as representative of an image 'shot' on Ektar.

I put it to you, sir, that you have fabricated proof. And that you are misleading the jury by showing a scan, alledgedly of an Ektar negative, on a computer screen.

Last edited by Q.G.; 05-02-2010 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A backlit display is just as misleading as a reflective display.

And crayons or not, it shows the same intent that he was describing is respresentative of Ektar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin