Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,260   Online: 816

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Advice on film choice for traveling

Hi everybody,

I'll be traveling in Indonesia w/i a forthnight and am puzzled about the choice of film (4x5) i should use for color landscape photography over there. Could anyone of you help me in this quest? Thanks a lot.

Brgds
    Yann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cant go wrong with Astia, it handles high saturation well (sunrise, sunset) without balancing out the colours and muting it like colour neg seems to do for me when shooting sunset, wide dynamic range (for an E-6 film), beautiful on people as well, fine grain, brilliant reciprocity characteristics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are looking for a negative film, you may want to give Ektar 100 a try. If you want reversal, E100G and E100VS are superb!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks!

For a beginner like me: what main difference would it makes between using revesible or negative film nowadays in such case? What is the main advantage/disdvantage of the ones compare to the others?

Brgds
    Yann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can very easily blow your highlights on reversal film (like digital), but exposed correctly, it retains the saturation of sunset and sunrise colours, while negative loses a lot of the colour, appears dull by comparison to what was actually seen, and changes the tone and hue of the colours.

Though you'll have a tough time blowing your highlights on negative film, when there is a lot of difference between the highlights and shadows, negative will capture a greater range of it (as long as you dont underexpose it, overexposing is fine), Astia also has a very good range for this purpose but you need to be careful not to overexpose it still.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What is the end result you wish to obtain? For example, will you be making prints yourself or having a lab process and print. Will you be scanning and digitally printing? I would choose a film that suits your intended result. Then again you could take some of both.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jeffrey,

I would have them lab processed for the moment (I'll buy a scan at a later stage). The end result I wish to obtain is usually get warm tones contrasts and colorfull detailed pictures.

Brgds
    yann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can shoot with a warming filter or adjust to warm tones equivalent of any filter very easily to a scan its a minor adjustment.

Sounds like you might want to shoot with Ektar though, for any portraits, I'd recommend Pro 160S or Astia, you could kill 2 birds with one stone with the Astia - that can pretty much do everything.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't shoot 4x5, but I've decided I prefer Portra to Ektar. Go figure. More flexible film, faster, and colors I like more. VC and NC are both nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For negative film i use Kodak Ektar which is a great film with a very wide dynamic range, but recently tested out Fuji Astia 100F and the images came out amazing. The Astia's color where saturated and had a very good dynamic range for slide film. I will be picking up more of this film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin