Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 808

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak E-6 and C-41 Stablizers: Compatible?

Does anyone know if you can use Kodak's C-41 rinse/stablizer on E-6 film with the same results as using the stablizer that's packaged with their 6-step E-6 kit?

Thanks,

Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a qualified maybe...Current c-41 rinse/stabliser has no formaldehyde. Nor does E-6 stabiliser.

E-6 6 step forms the dye stabilizers in th carry over of the colour developer into the pre bleach, and then the pre bleach into the bleach.

In current 'washless' C-41 mini labs I am not aware of having a reaction suchas 6 step e-6 has; in the bleach or blix stage. Modern c-41 are ok this way.

There are older C-41 film designs, like some interneg products, that still need the formaldehyde spiked final rinse.

I do rinse c-41 in the e-6 rinse if it is currently mixed. The oter way should work as well.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike!

My problem is that I shoot primarily C-41 these days and when I do shoot E-6 I shoot both 120 and 4x5. I can use a 1L beaker for the roll film and utilize exactly the amount of rinse require for the rolls to be processed but it takes 1L of solution to fill up the "sidewalk chalk" box which looks like a clear plastic card file and is wide enough for sheet film.

Thanks again for your reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 'stuff' in the e-6 final rinse wash should from my guess keep anything else from growing in it (if mixed from distilled water, as all my final rinses are) for quite a while. I keep mine around and reuse it regularly for at least a month at a time, on e-6 (and b&w if it is made when thay are being processed)
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went on B&H's website last night (What I should have done before posting this question!) and low and behold it's sold separately - about $4.00 per bottle and B&H will ship it. I was thinking that it only came with the kit. I felt soo stupid when I saw it that I was ashamed for the post. So I'm going to order a few bottles.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using the tetenal stabiliser for C-41 left over from my Tetenal C-41 kit on both C-41 and E-6 films, but then I dont notice a difference as to between that or not using a stabiliser at all.

I'd guess you'd have to test it with C-41 stabiliser, with E-6 stabiliser, and without and compare original results to those of some form of unaccelerated aging, unless you want to wait 20 years and see..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin