Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,058   Online: 870

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ken R was right!!

I confess. I read Ken Rockwell. And one thing I read more than once at his site is how wonderful Velvia is. It sounded a bit more hyperbole than usual for KR. So I bought a Velvia 50 for the Rolleicord and brought it to the sea at sunset. Cliche? I hardly now how to spell that.
    Sunset, frozen sea, snow, rocks and puddles of molten snow. Camera on tripod and a full roll shot.
    Got it back yesterday and put it up on the light table and brought the loupe up to it. Wow! Ken Rockwell, you were right! Incredible colors. Wow! I can see how this film will be used a lot this summer. Maybe not for people as I suppose they will look quite funny.

Now I really need to get myself a 6x6 projector. Any advice on what to look for and how much I should expect to pay?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a Bausch & Lomb Balomatic 755/756. I found one locally with trays, and the colours when projected are just stunning. The whole kit, all clean and well kept, cost me about 150$.

You could always hunt for more advanced stuff from Hasselblad or Rollei, Cabin etc, but you will have to be ready to invest more.

Also, try Ektachrome 100VS too. It's Kodak's equivalent saturated-colours slide film, and while it does not have the same look as Velvia, it has beautiful colours, rich and vibrant without being over the top. Plus, it's very good on skin colour.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    Look for a Bausch & Lomb Balomatic 755/756. I found one locally with trays, and the colours when projected are just stunning. The whole kit, all clean and well kept, cost me about 150$.

You could always hunt for more advanced stuff from Hasselblad or Rollei, Cabin etc, but you will have to be ready to invest more.

Also, try Ektachrome 100VS too. It's Kodak's equivalent saturated-colours slide film, and while it does not have the same look as Velvia, it has beautiful colours, rich and vibrant without being over the top. Plus, it's very good on skin colour.
    Thanks for your tip. I will try the Ektachrome also. Do you develope your own slide-films or dou you send them out?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The old leitz 6x6 projectors aren't very expensive. At least not in europe. (I've seen them go for 50-60 euros on ebay).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    I'll second that. Velvia 50 can be nice with the right subject, but it is way over the top for people pictures. E100VS is much better in that regard. If my primary subject is people, and I wanted to render a more natural looking flesh tone, neither of these films would be my first pick. Kodak's E100G or Fuji's Astia 100 would be much better choices. Different tools for different applications. Isn't it nice that we have the choice?
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    Thanks for your tip. I will try the Ektachrome also. Do you develope your own slide-films or dou you send them out?

r

Mats
    I have labs in Montreal to develop them, so I send them out. The only colour process I bother doing is RA4 because nobody prints RA4 optically anymore: it's all scanned and printed with LEDs or something like that onto photo paper. E6 and C41 are very tight processes, so beyond the push/pull, you can't manipulate much with colour films (unless you're going for wacky!).

Optical RA4 looks nicer, rounder, less sharp of course, but people do not look plasticky.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Velvia is a truly fantastic film. It is a great look for pinks - sunrise/sunset colours and anything where you need some stand-out colour.

I shot some (RVP100) on my first "fashion" shoot last week.
    The colours are spectacular. I can see this looking a bit yucky on Velvia 50

Don't forget Kodak films either. Kodak E100VS is a very, very good film as well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 50 is great, but as others have mentioned, you should also try E100VS, a personal favorite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great picture Andrew!
    Velvia is also my favourite slide film, along with Astia.
    Finally managed to load this up properly... :rolleyes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apug Autumn Lake II.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Slixtiesix, Yours is great too. I like that red colour of the autumnal trees.

Have a look here for Oleg Novikov's comparison of the Fuji and Kodak
    http://olegnovikov.com/technical/vel...dak100vs.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin