Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,577   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Crystal Archive Type Ii is contrasty at room temp for sure. I find heating trays is a pain but am interested in your test results.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Fuji Crystal Archive Type Ii is contrasty at room temp for sure. I find heating trays is a pain but am interested in your test results.
    I infer three things from this, rightly or wrongly and you can tell me which are right or wrong

1. It is more contrasty at room temp developing than at 95F. Too contrasty to be acceptable?

2. It is more contrasty at room temp than say Kodak Supra Endura paper

3. You have had no experience of room temp casts( I think magenta was mentioned) at room temp dev

If all of the above are right then short of using dev at 95F what steps can be taken to tame the contrast.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I need to give this another go. I tried once with Arista's RA kit at room temp in my home darkroom. I had never C-Printed before that, and I was getting completely unpredictable, all over the place results. So I just resorted to using my school's darkroom with their behemoth Colex roller-transport processor.

But now that I actually have some semblance of an idea what I'm doing I'm gonna bust back out those RA chems and give it another whirl... especially since the color lab isn't open during the summer and I have rolls upon rolls of color negs I need to print
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I infer three things from this, rightly or wrongly and you can tell me which are right or wrong

1. It is more contrasty at room temp developing than at 95F. Too contrasty to be acceptable?

2. It is more contrasty at room temp than say Kodak Supra Endura paper

3. You have had no experience of room temp casts( I think magenta was mentioned) at room temp dev

If all of the above are right then short of using dev at 95F what steps can be taken to tame the contrast.

Thanks

pentaxuser
    1. Never tried Fuji CA at 95F. I tried Endura hot and room temp and found no difference and so far haven't thought to try Fuji CA hot.

2. I find it more contrasty than Supra Endura for sure.

3. No magenta cast.

I actually like the contrast for some shots. I use the Enura as a low contrast paper. Depending on the negatives you can tame the contrast somewhat, overexposing some C-41 film gives it more pastel tones and lower contrast.

To mfratt, my results at room temperature are completely consistent, no problem there even using the chemicals beyond recommended capacities and lifetimes.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is Ultra Endura the only Kodak RC color paper left? I can only find it in rolls and in the semi-matte N surface. Is it a good paper? Does it have good keeping properties? If so, I might buy a roll when I run out of the stuff I have. I can cut it in the dark as I need it, I suppose.

Right now I've got a partial 100 sheet box (mostly full) each of old Kodak Ultra III, and Portra II and Supra III in 8x10, and Ultra II in 16x20. I bought all that paper maybe 7 or 8 years ago, some of it expired at the time I bought it, and I have no idea if it's still any good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak makes other RC color papers but they're all VC Digital papers meant for laser exposure, not optical. They can be used optically but Kodak warns of cyan shadows when matched for flesh tones. Ultra Endura is the last paper Kodak makes that they recommend for optical printing. No Kodak paper is cut into sheets by Kodak anymore, just available in rolls. You can get cut sheets at Maco and eBay and elsewhere.

I use expired Kodak (some very expired) and new Fuji CA Type II at present. The old Kodak stuff is still printable, though at a higher filtration level than indicated on the box so it has shifted warm. Only printing with the stuff will let you know if yours is still usable, if you can still filter it to normal colors. Non-normal colors can be fun too of course...

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks,hpulley

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second that. Thanks hpulley.

Buying a roll of the Ultra Endura and cutting it as needed should be very easy to do in the dark with a simple guide setup. It's also pretty inexpensive bought that way.

Kodak Royal Generations is one of those papers that is supposed to be suitable for both digital and optical printing. I don't see any warnings from Kodak about cyan shadows. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...09/e7009.shtml Do you have a link to the Kodak warnings about color balance when using this paper for optical imaging? It would be really cheap to buy a roll of this paper in whatever width one deemed convenient to handle and store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right, it doesn't mention a problem there. Perhaps it isn't a pro paper and Ultra Endura is the last pro paper meant for optical use. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin