Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,758   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wanting to Print RA-4 at home

Hi Guys- I have the itch to try RA-4 at home. I have a uicolor enlarger with filters and a uniclor processing drum. I also have a Beseler 23C set up for black and white and an Omega DII. I would like to give it a try with the unicolor....How toxic are the RA-4 chemicals compaired to the black and white print processing steps? I have a septic system here....Are there any room temperature RA-4 chemicals left?

Thanks,

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They're no more toxic than B+W. The RA4 developer does have an odor to it. I like it but maybe that's just speaking to how much I've printed it. It's not so bad in 8x10 trays as it gets in 16x20 trays...

I wrote an article on this, with the only ammmendment that you shouldn't use fuji paper. Edge or Royal Generations or Ultra Endura or Supra Endura (stock up now) should work just fine.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum221/...ing-200-a.html
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are not more toxic than BW. One could claim they are less toxic because of hydroquinone in many BW paper developers. I like the fresh, fruity odor in Kodak RA-4 developer :rolleyes:.

I don't recommend drums as I find traditional tray processing - just like BW - easier, but this is up to you.

Just give it a try! It's easy and fun.

Look at the another thread that's going on for recommendations on chemicals. Kodak RA-RT replenisher and RT-LU replenisher seems to work perfectly at room temp, without a starter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not Fuji Nicholas?

There is one Mono kit left, Tetenal branded. Not in stock at B&H. I use the Fotospeed Mono version (only one kit left tho), with both Kodak and Fuji paper. 1620 trays are a bit much- even with ventilation I get a bit of a headache if I'm in there all day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can use the Kodak RA-RT developer in trays at room temperature with a 2 minute developing time. You will use a slightly different filter pack than at normal processing temperature, but it works great.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    I also like the smell the Kodak developer gives off. Kodak chemistry is far less repellent than the mono kits in terms of smell.

I think the issue with Fuji paper is its performance at room temperature.

Cut paper is becoming difficult to source with Endura stocks starting to disappear. Fuji CA is starting to be cut again by 3rd parties over here, I see no reason why Kodak Edge couldn't be cut down also.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Why not Fuji Nicholas?

There is one Mono kit left, Tetenal branded. Not in stock at B&H. I use the Fotospeed Mono version (only one kit left tho), with both Kodak and Fuji paper. 1620 trays are a bit much- even with ventilation I get a bit of a headache if I'm in there all day.
    I process at room temperature in trays. Fuji Type C in room temperature chemistry gives the nastiest magenta crossover and poor color saturation. Type P just gives poor saturations. Supra Endura gives great saturation without crossover. Just my observations.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Super C has been fine here in the Fotospeed Mono- that may be the difference the designed for room temperature chemistry makes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I now use the Kodak RA-RT Developer Replenisher & Blix at room temperature for 2 minutes each as recommended here on apug. Its working great and is much less expensive than the Fotospeed kit I had been using. The Kodak stuff also lasts much longer when opened due to there being 3 parts to mix for developer and 2 parts for the blix. The developer smells very sweat, kinda like washing liquid.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    I was always a Jobo drum processor at 35 degrees for RA4 and I kept my Nova 4 slot for B&W. While the 4 slot can be temp controlled for 35C it would be simpler if I could use it for RA4 at room temp. However what I am reading here is that Fuji paper is problematical at room temp and yet it is Kodak that has dropped it's sheet option. So while Fuji cut sheets are now available through various third parties such as Agphotographic in the U.K. it would appear that it isn't suitable at room temp which is a pity.

So in summary Kodak Supra Endura is OK at room temp but isn't available or won't be for much longer while Fuji RA4 will be available in cut sheet form but has to processed at 35 degrees. Have I got this correct?

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin