Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,139   Online: 771

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526272832 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-on-a-stick View Post

My initial worries are laid to rest, but, as seems to be the consensus, check your chemicals! I developed a range of films this time and everything turned out very well except for some Ektachrome VS100 that was pretty blown out. I did shoot it at 64EI, so, i'm probably to blame for that one. I also dev'd sensia, provia400 provia100 reala 100 CN400 NPHII and portra 100T with this batch. All the films came out nicely, except where my camera work was shoddy. This is a good product, but i still have to match it to the Arista E-6 kit to be sure. It beats hell out of the Unicolor kit, thats for certain (when the chemicals are good)
    Kremt...This is a thread for Rollei Digibase C41 colour negative films. You have developed E6 Transparency films.....No wonder your cross process films did burn in the H-lights....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought the 10 roll kit, mixed up the developer, bleach, fix without any problems. There was enough concentrates to make 500 mL of working solution.

When I got to mixing the stabilizer, I found that there was only 25 mL of concentrate. I thought there should be 50, so I reached for the instructions and promptly spilled the stabilizer concentrate down the drain.

So my questions are:
    1. How important is the stabilizer in the process?
    2. Should there have been 50 mL of concentrate to make 500 mL or does the 10 roll kit only have enough to make 250 mL?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. The stabilizer is important according to what i have read in other threads, i don't know what will happen but i suggest that you buy some C41 stabilizer (Kodak is easy to find) Rewash your negatives and run them through the stabilizer.
    2. There is only 25ml in the 10 film kit. the 20 film kit comes with 50ml.
    25ml should make 500ml working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is nice that somebody has put together a kit again, but the price is out of hand compared to Kodak's. When Kodak had the one gallon kit, I used to spend $75 for 7.5 L worth of processing chemicals (at least 64 rolls, and often more, as I would go through the chems a third time with less important pictures). That is 10 dollars per quart, compared with Rollei's price of $35 per liter.

Kodak chemicals can still be purchased individually, for even cheaper than I got the kits for. The developer is $7.50 for a quart of concentrate to make nearly 18 gallons of working solution. At that price, you can even feel ok using it one shot. One shot, you would get 288 rolls, two shot (which works perfectly fine), you would get 576. The fixer is $7.50 to make five gallons. This is theoretically enough to process 300 rolls of film going through the chems only once (twice as many if going through twice), plus you can use the same fixer for all your black and white film and paper processing needs. Again, cheap as dirt, and both of these chemicals can be mixed bit at a time as needed, so they do not spoil. The stabilizer is about $3 a bottle, good for about eight weeks or 180 rolls. The expensive part is the bleach. It is about $40 for about 100 rolls worth of bleach, in a pre-mixed 2.7 L container. (When the one gallon bleach was around, it was $25 for 120 rolls worth.) There is a starter/replenisher way to do it for much cheaper, but I am not familiar with it.

When you do all the maths, you see that for $35, you get about 50 rolls of processing (one shot developer, using other chems twice), compared to Rollei's $35 for 20 rolls reusing the developer multiple times; if one shot developer, it would only be five rolls (or four, as most people do not have five-roll tanks), so the Rollei chemistry is over 10x more expensive...and for what reason?

It is perhaps a good kit for teaching classes, in which the students might shoot 10 to 20 rolls in the course of a class, they do not want to rely on the group chemistry's purity, and they will likely never process color film again. It is also good for those who process infrequently. However, it is economic folly for anyone regularly doing even moderate quantities of color processing at home.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-26-2010 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It WOULD be really nice if Rollei/Compard came out with E6 chemistry. (HINT HINT!)

Whats the kodak part number on the quarts for Flexicolor developer? I need to purchase some. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format

If you live at altitude, you might avoid it.

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but if you live at altitude, you might find leaky/burst bottles. The West Coast merchant is certainly trustworthy (I'm placing an order through them right now) but living at 7000' creates quite a messy situation. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but if it does, you might wish to pursue a different avenue for C-41 chems.

Larry

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm confused, does the 10 roll kit make 500ml of working solution or 250ml?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm confused, does the 10 roll kit make 500ml of working solution or 250ml?
    It's for 2x250ml working solution. But if you have a 500ml tank you have to use it all.
    But in 500ml you can develop 1x 220 or 2x 120 roll films or 2x 135-36 films.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    It WOULD be really nice if Rollei/Compard came out with E6 chemistry. (HINT HINT!)
    In Europe there are still 5L E-6 kits on the market by different manufacturers. Even a 1L kit.

So it's an issue of an US importer. Whether it makes sense importing those with own photochemical manufacturers around is something different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JLP thanks I'll look into getting the Kodak C41 stabilizer. BTW I double checked the instructions that came with the kit, they say 25 ml concentrate will only make 250 ml working solution, not 500.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin