Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,340   Online: 972

Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have processed the film and scanned/corrected it for a hybrid digital comparison, but I will not be able to print them in the darkroom until later this week.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello all. Great site. First post.

So I received my first Digibase C41 kit from Freestyle. I have plenty of experience developing my own B&W film but I have a few questions as this will be my first color development experience:

I ordered the smaller 1L (10 roll) kit to start. I have more rolls than that to develop so it will go quickly. (Shelf life of the working solution is not an issue.) So should I just mix up the whole thing into 1L working solutions and go? I will be using my new (to me) Jobo CPE2+ processor and thought I would use the 5 roll canister two or three times over. I would pour in as much of each 1L solutions as will fit then pour it back into each 1L working solution when done so the solutions will be reused on a rolling basis. Correct?

What about later when I’m doing only a few rolls at a time? My thought is that I would still use the 5 roll canister with some full and some empty rolls in it. That way I would ensure that there is enough working solution rolling around in there. I've heard that can be an issue with small (2 or 3 roll) Jobo processing. Again I would be pouring from and returning to rolling 1L solutions. Good idea?

I've also heard that a wash is a good idea between steps even though not described in the Digibase materials. I think that was recommended above in this thread even. A good idea, and if so then after which steps?

Finally, should I really stop at 10 rolls? The kit is pretty cheap so I do not want to push my luck, but I don’t want to be wasteful either.

Thanks so much. I look forward to participation here and will post results later.

Dean
    (Leica M rangefinder shooter.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSilliman View Post
    So should I just mix up the whole thing into 1L working solutions and go?
    Yes.

I will be using my new (to me) Jobo CPE2+ processor and thought I would use the 5 roll canister two or three times over. I would pour in as much of each 1L solutions as will fit
    You use the amount specified in the tank under the title "ROTARY". See http://www.jobo.com/web/1500-Series-Tanks.336.0.html or http://www.jobo.com/web/2500-Series-Tanks.337.0.html .

You said you have 5 roll tank, then it's probably 1520&1530 combination and if so, you measure 570 ml of each chemical.

then pour it back into each 1L working solution when done so the solutions will be reused on a rolling basis. Correct?
    Yes, you can do it like this. You have to adjust the development time for the next rolls, I'm sure the kit instruction has a table for this.

What about later when I’m doing only a few rolls at a time? My thought is that I would still use the 5 roll canister with some full and some empty rolls in it.
    You can do it like that, or you can use smaller tank with appropriate, smaller volume of chemistry. It doesn't make a difference since you are reusing the chemistry anyway. If you did one-shot, you would probably want to use smallest tank and smallest chemical volume possible for cost saving.

That way I would ensure that there is enough working solution rolling around in there. I've heard that can be an issue with small (2 or 3 roll) Jobo processing.
    No, there is absolutely no issue. The minimum volume in Jobo rotary is enough for C-41
    process. I remember discussing some issues at APUG a year or two ago, but I'm 100% positive that the problems were elsewhere, for example, in temperature control.

I have moved to prewash as suggested by PE. I measure out some wash water at exactly the process temperature, and then make two or even three quick washes with it. Then I drain the water as well as possible and go quickly to developer. Of course, a dry preheat, as instructed in most instructions, work well but it really needs at least 5 minutes, preferably more.

Again I would be pouring from and returning to rolling 1L solutions. Good idea?
    Yes.

I've also heard that a wash is a good idea between steps even though not described in the Digibase materials.
    Do NOT use a water wash between developer and bleach. The development continues and this may cause some color crossover. You probably can use a stop bath, followed by a quick wash, but why bother? The chemistry should have been designed so that you go directly to bleach.

However, usually a decent wash between bleach and fix is used. Is there none in Rollei instructions?

And, as you are processing rotary, don't underestimate the need of final wash. Change the water at least 7-8 times. And remember not to wash after final rinse / stabilizer.

Finally, should I really stop at 10 rolls? The kit is pretty cheap so I do not want to push my luck, but I don’t want to be wasteful either.
    I have had some good results in overusing C-41 chemistry. It's quite a robust process. You will probably get good results, but it cannot be guaranteed and they might be a bit off if measured.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Dean, welcome to APUG. I never had any issues in developing 1 or 2 rolls in my JOBO.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks hrst and fotch.

I mixed up the chemicals last night and took to it. First disaster, then redemption. The first thing I noted was that the working solutions for the 10 roll kit are only 500ml, not 1L. So that ruled out using the five roll canister on the Jobo (1520+1530) because, as noted above, it would take 570ml. In fact, the stab working solution is only 250ml. So I used only the two roll 1520 tank.

Then my mistake. I grabbed two REALLY old rolls of exposed film. As in probably 12+ years old that I recently found in a bag in the garage. My flawed logic was that if they did not turn out then no loss. I knew it was a mistake at the time but proceeded nonetheless. The process went fine but the finished films were dead black. No trace of an image. So I grabbed a fresh roll, shot some things around the house (flowers, dog), and loaded up the Jobo again. My wife and daughters came home just in time to see the second batch come out of the tank (a very exciting thing for a five year old). And this time - SUCCESS. Flowers and dog. It dried overnight and I will throw them into the Epson V700 this evening.

BTW, the instructions do not mention wash at all other than the thermal prewash. But I added one before and after fix and it went fine. I probably could have done more cycles of wash before the stab, as recommended above, and I think I'll add that in the future.

Thanks for the help here. A few remaining questions:

Upon opening the tank at the end, the stab had made everything very frothy/bubbly. Is that normal and okay?

For those who have a Jobo with lift, after draining a given chemical, do you continue to hold the lift/tank up and pour water into the funnel to clear out the drain tube and area, then proceed? I saw that recommended somewhere and it seemed okay but I was curious. The one concern I have about the Jobo process with lift is that a lot more chemical than normal gets carried from one process to the next. My bleach went from yellow to developer/dark color the first time.

Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stabilizer/final rinse foams quite a bit. If it bothers you, it's recommended to do that step outside the processor. But if you have only 250 ml of solution, it's not possible then. But, I use the processor for stabilizer/final rinse too every now and then, and foaming hasn't caused any problems.

BUT. When I stabilize with the tank attached to the Jobo, I don't use the lift system at all. I remove the tank, carefully pour the stabilizer in the tank and then attach the tank back to the processor. And when the time is up, I remove the tank from processor. This way, I don't have to wash the processor funnel system afterwards, as it gets washed simultaneously with final wash of the film. If you let stabilizer touch with processor's funnel system, you have to wash it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Upon opening the tank at the end, the stab had made everything very frothy/bubbly. Is that normal and okay?
    Well, yes. If you agitate the stab it will be very bubbly. It behaves much like dishwashing liquid, and even share some of its characteristics. I process manually in a paterson and after the wash i just gently pour in the stab, rotate the rheels a little by hand and then just let it sit the time out.

About the capacity. At first i mixed up 350ml and developed 4 films over a time of 8 weeks (stored in half full bottles in room temp). Last week i came home from a short trip with 5 films. I mixed up 350ml more and used all of that together with the old (=700ml) in a larger tank and processed the new 5 films. All came out good. This time it was one Reala, one Superia 1600 (that also got X-rayed 3 times at airports), one Ektar and two Pro 160C. So i have done 9 films in 700ml, where half of that chemistry already had developed 4 films and been stored badly. I have no doubt that i can process a couple films more in this 700ml, then i can replenish with what i have left in the concentrates (I also bought the 1L kit). I am quite confident that i can process at least 25 films, maybe 30 on one L (now i have the chemistry in full bottles stored at around 10C).
    Last edited by steelneck; 08-11-2010 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Question..I would like to attempt C41 with a Tetenal kit I have..How do you guys handle the chemical disposals? Sink drain?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those who have a Jobo with lift, after draining a given chemical, do you continue to hold the lift/tank up and pour water into the funnel to clear out the drain tube and area, then proceed? I saw that recommended somewhere and it seemed okay but I was curious. The one concern I have about the Jobo process with lift is that a lot more chemical than normal gets carried from one process to the next. My bleach went from yellow to developer/dark color the first time.

Dean
    No. Never have.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin