Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 954

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if I had the 10 roll kit it would just fill my 16 oz. tank and I would make 5 runs with 2 rolls each and use the same chemicals 5 times. Would this be correct for 10 rolls of 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I've reused C-41 chemicals for 5 times with no problems in Jobo. Of course, the more you reuse, the higher the chance that the process goes outside the specifications. There are a few things to consider:

- Developer exhaustion (oxidization when it develops the film). This is counteracted by time compensation, but it can never be 100% exact as it depends at least a bit on films used, scene content (densities) etc.
    - Developer dilution, if you use prewash and don't drain well enough
    - Cross-contaminations. Try to keep things clean, especially the developer.
    - Solutions lost in the process. You lose at least 10-20 mL every time in Jobo, so you must have some extra volume to begin with.
    - Bleach buffering capacity lost due to too much developer carry-in. Try to drain as much developer as possible from the tank when you are going to reuse.
    - Too much bleach carry-over in fixer. You could extend the in-between wash if you are going to reuse.
    - etc.

These all apply to any C-41 chemistry from any manufacturer. I don't believe Rollei would make a big difference.

However, I find C-41 quite a robust process and even if you went a bit out of specs, it doesn't usually show up---the results look good. Many commercial labs (not real pro labs) may be more off all the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For those of you waiting for my test results, I have shot and processed all the rolls and printed them, however, I am repeating all of this to verify my findings before making conclusions. I'll post the short hand results here, but I intend to write a more thorough article about it as well. Right now I am waiting on delivery of a second batch of chemicals to arrive.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    For those of you waiting for my test results, ...
    It will be interesting to read.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm considering buying a Digibase kit; does anybody know what the shelf life is for the chemicals once opened?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can displace most of the air from the bottles, probably at least a year or more.

But, the part containing CD-4 may die in even less than 6 months if the bottle is big and cannot be squeezed. This is the case with Fuji Hunt 5 l kit. I have started storing the developer concentrate parts in a fridge, and it seems to extend the shelf life even if I cannot squeeze all the air off. This seems much easier than playing with inert gases.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kiebee View Post
    I'm considering buying a Digibase kit; does anybody know what the shelf life is for the chemicals once opened?
    Probably very long since the bottles of concentrate is not full or even sealed at delivery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steelneck View Post
    Probably very long since the bottles of concentrate is not full or even sealed at delivery.
    However, they probably had a inert gas injected into the bottle to displace oxygen. Of course, one could also do this after opening the bottles, should help it last longer.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

pmu

Shooter
    35mm
    Please, enlighten me. I am confused about the shelf life of Rollei digibase DEVELOPER. Maco website states:

"CAPACITY:
    The color developer, working solution, example 250ml: One can at least process 5 films in a approach of 250ml. This requires a rapid processing (within 6 hours) ahead. .."

So, working solution last only for few hours and after that it's ruined?

Maco's developing instructions say that "250ml = 3-5 rolls" and in the instructions there is mentioned only this normal non-rotation method (like B&W). I have to say that I have never seen a tank that can develop 120 roll with 250 ml.

So, I have to mix 500ml of developer = about 12 rolls and develop everything within few hours if I want to use normal non-rotating method?

Or is that mentioned developer sorking solution shelf life ("6 hours") BS?

PS: Sorry, I don't know all the right terms.

Confusing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't help you with your main questions; however....

Quote Originally Posted by pmu View Post
    I have to say that I have never seen a tank that can develop 120 roll with 250 ml.
    It's still not quite 250 ml, but check out this 120-format developing tank. I've got a couple of these and they use 260 ml of solution (the figure is stamped on the lid, and you can sort of make it out in the auction's photo); however, they can't use inversion agitation, just rotational agitation via a rotating stick. I find this very difficult to get right, so negatives developed this way often have streaks. If you're used to this type of agitation and want to save a little money on chemicals, one of these tanks might be just the thing. I believe that Jobo-style rotary tanks could also do a roll of 120 in a similar amount of solution, but I don't know the exact figures offhand. I've seen posts from people who use Paterson-style tanks in this way (rolling them on a countertop) to save chemicals, but I've never tried that.
    Rod Smith

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin