Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,383   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Kodak E6

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Kodak E6

Just wondering what are your favorite E6 films. I use 35mm and 120 film and mostly use it for landscape or travel. I know that Fuji has Astia Provia and Velvia and I know that the Velvia is the highly saturated film but I haven't used the Astia or Provia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These things are always highly personal, but I find Provia 100F to be an extremely well-balanced film for "natural"-looking colour reproduction. In full sun it's just fine with no filter; any amount of shade and it requires a warming filter to keep it from skewing blue. To my eye, Velvia is unnaturally saturated with the "Crayolachrome" look, Astia looks bland, and the Provia porridge is just right.

Rollei CR200 (apparently the same emulsion as APX200) is cheap as dirt and has a very nice, warm colour rendition (slightly better at EI 160 than 200, IMHO), but I found it too grainy for my taste in 35mm. It definitely has character, though, and I wouldn't write it off without trying it.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post

Rollei CR200 (apparently the same emulsion as APX200) is cheap as dirt and has a very nice, warm colour rendition (slightly better at EI 160 than 200, IMHO), but I found it too grainy for my taste in 35mm. It definitely has character, though, and I wouldn't write it off without trying it.

-NT
    What's cheap over there? Do you got a price indication?

rhmimac
    Give me some more E6 film…

please...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Elite Chrome 100: Nice, neutral color rendition; a great all-around film. It is slightly warmer and significantly cheaper than E100G, which is why I like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji RVP 50, 100F (Velvia) in 135 (the gold standard for reversal-to-Ilfochrome), Provia 100F for Pinhole (120). Pretty much the stock stuff except for Neopan ACROS 100 B&W for pinhole work.

Ntenny, None of the Velvia emulsions were designed for use in point light (full sun). It's a diffuse light film and that's where it delivers the very best.
    I had the misfortune of running a roll of Velvia 100 last winter in a rainforest and was shocked at the ghastly Disneychrome saturation — but especially its touchy, easily blown white curve and grossly unnatural browns and greens. The other RVPs can be moderated in appearance by matching the use to light and filters.

Haven't ever touched Kodak stuff since using Kodachrome 200 prolifically through 1980s and 1990s (and those trannies are still really shining after decades in storage!).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had really good results with Kodak E100VS. I have only used it in 120 format. I find it works particularly well in indirect or subdued lighting, however, it too tends toward blue in the cooler light very late in the day so I would recommend a warming filter at that point.

What are people here using for print output of their transparencies? Ilfochrome/Cibachrome? RA4 via negative? other? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [Rollei CR200]

Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    What's cheap over there? Do you got a price indication?
    US$4.99 for a 35mm roll at Freestyle. They're out of stock at the moment, though.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My print process is to Ilfochrome (commerically), then framed (some prints just matted and wrapped).
    RA-4 was in use prior to 1995 when I switched over — I complained bitterly of the loss of image quality and general bland and unserviceable appearance with that process.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rollei colour films are quite expensive in comparison to other films for me to get.

E6... my favourite is Astia 100f.. I've got some CR200 I've yet to try sitting here though.

Provia 400X is nice too.

Though I also have some pro packs in 120 of Velvia 100 and E100Vs just sitting here (actually I think I have almost all current colour films sitting here :P)

Astia 100f is the 'low-contrast', 'low-saturation' film, it has a wide dynamic range (you still need to expose it correctly), it's lovely for everything, it reproduces intense bright colours accurately when exposed well imo, it works for sunsets, landscapes, and portraits, its my go-to film for E6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've also recently discovered Astia 100F and really really like it. I was searching around for a replacement to the late, great Kodak E100GX (which was a replacement for the late great E100SW) and while it's not exactly the same, I find it equally satisfying for my needs.

Duncan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin