Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,884   Posts: 1,629,756   Online: 727
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Trask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,213
    Images
    16

    Dwayne's says: film cartridge received empty - The Outcome

    Several weeks ago I posted -- and several have read -- about how Dwayne's received two rolls of Kodachrome for processing, but claimed that one film cartridge was empty when they received it. They even had a special sticker on the return envelope "Film Cartridge Received Empty" - as if it were so common that they needed special stickers for that purpose.

    After having communicated by email with the lady who, it turns out, is the head of customer service, and not getting beyond the response that I must have sent in an empty cartridge, I called and asked to speak with someone above her in Dwayne's hierarchy. I was put through to a man named Grant. Let me say right up front that we had a very cordial discussion, in part because I wasn't bellicose. We had a calm and fruitful conversation.

    I explained that there was no way I'd have sent in an empty roll -- too experienced, too careful, too attentive. Something must have happened at Dwayne's. In response, Grant walked me through the process. First, the film is mechanically extracted from the cassette -- I interrupt to ask, does the machine somehow go in through the felt light trap and grab the end of the film? No, Grant replied, the machine mechanically opens the cassette. (I immediately imagine an Inspector Gadget-type arm with church key in stainless steel hand.) The film is then attached to the end of a roll of other films from other people so the whole strung-together length can pass through the machine.

    When the mechanical opener pops open the cassette and does not find any film in the cassette, it signals an error to the operator that an empty cartridge had been detected. The use of the mechanical opener answered a question I had been pondering. Along with the properly-developed pack of slides I'd received from the one roll that was not "empty", I had received a film bobbin with the tape still holding a little bit of film, but one of the two round discs that act as guides to hold the film into the roll was missing. Makes me think that rather than unrolling the film off the bobbin, maybe the machine rips off the disc, thereby letting the film spiral off the open end when the spool is held vertically. Or maybe the missing disc was a clue as to why my film went missing. I didn't ask Grant for specifics on this point -- I may take this up with him later.

    I asked if it were possible that my film had actually been received and opened properly, but as it was attached to someone else's film, perhaps my slides were sent to someone else. He said it was not possible because the packaging unit would have wound up with more slides to package than non-faulty rolls had been processed. I have hope he's wrong.

    Grant then did what the customer service manager had not: he admitted there was another possibility, though remote. He said that perhaps 3 or 4 times per year, the mechanical opener says there is no film is in a cartridge when in fact there is. This film is not attached to the master roll, but remains in the machine and is disposed of.

    Grant also explained why they have stickers printed up to say film cartridges are received empty -- because they get many of them. Seems that a fair number of people try to get that 37th or 38th frame out of a roll, and wind up ripping the film off the bobbin. You'd think the photographer might notice that when they open the camera, but there are a lot of inexperienced camera users out there, I guess.

    In the end, it was clear that Dwayne's did not have my slides laying around, but I was satisfied now with their explanation of what might have happened. Maybe one of my rolls was one of the 3/4 that gets mistakenly discarded. I sent Grant a photo similar to what they'd find on my missing slides (the subject was quite unique) so if they turned up, he'd know they are mine. Grant offered to send me fresh roll of E-6 film, which I declined but with thanks.

    So while I'm sorry I lost my film, I left impressed with Grant's willingness to discuss the issue -- even admitting how things can go wrong. I will use Dwayne's again because he responded to my concerns in an honest manner -- of course, for Kodachrome there's no other choice. Too bad I didn't get the full story without having to move beyond their customer service operation.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,720
    Interesting.
    Grant is the son of Dwayne Steinle, who set up the lab originally. There's an article on:
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/335532...-today_people/
    (The video is worth a look.)

    (Not sure if it's correct, but I did read (maybe in the kodachromeproject.com) that the opened cassettes from the European processing-paid films go back to Kodak to confirm the charge which they pay to Dwaynes for the number of films dealt with. Which was why they couldn't send the empty cassette back to someone as a collectors item. IDK?)

  3. #3
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    574
    Let's hope you can recieve those mysteriously lost slides.

    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Interesting.
    Grant is the son of Dwayne Steinle, who set up the lab originally. There's an article on:
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/335532...-today_people/
    (The video is worth a look.)

    (Not sure if it's correct, but I did read (maybe in the kodachromeproject.com) that the opened cassettes from the European processing-paid films go back to Kodak to confirm the charge which they pay to Dwaynes for the number of films dealt with. Which was why they couldn't send the empty cassette back to someone as a collectors item. IDK?)
    Curious fact, didn't hear of it before.
    I asked Dwayne's about returning film canisters and they said they will if you put/write a note requesting the canister back. I suppose it's the same for both prepaid (EU) and non prepaid Kodachrome. I did put a note on the canister, and well, we'll see.
    Mine has arrived to Lausanne, I suppose that today it began it's route to Kansas. I'll tell if the canister comes back when the slides arrive from processing. Let's hope everything will be right.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post

    Curious fact, didn't hear of it before.
    I asked Dwayne's about returning film canisters and they said they will if you put/write a note requesting the canister back. I suppose it's the same for both prepaid (EU) and non prepaid Kodachrome. I did put a note on the canister, and well, we'll see.
    Mine has arrived to Lausanne, I suppose that today it began it's route to Kansas. I'll tell if the canister comes back when the slides arrive from processing. Let's hope everything will be right.
    Yes, it seemed curious to me...presumably Kodak themselves know how many films they have sent on from Lausanne!

    I'd be interested to know if you get the canister back...I'd rather like to have one-or-two of my own sent back to keep as mementos of Kodachrome days.

  5. #5
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Yes, it seemed curious to me...presumably Kodak themselves know how many films they have sent on from Lausanne!

    I'd be interested to know if you get the canister back...I'd rather like to have one-or-two of my own sent back to keep as mementos of Kodachrome days.
    No canister back, sadly. Maybe we should ask to Lausanne's Kodak email adress? Dwaynes said that they would return it if they found a note written asking for it. Perhaps the note wasn't noticed or Kodak CH does this canister counting.
    Let's see if I can get at least one.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    328
    Images
    7
    I'll happily send you a roll of KR64 for free. I hate to hear stories like this.

    PM me or email kirkbyte@optusnet.com.au

    Andrew

  7. #7
    6x9
    6x9 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Japan/America
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    57
    So every year 3 or 4 people don't get their film from Dwayne? 144 shots GONE!?
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Carbondale, IL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    229
    Glad to hear that you were able to speak to some one that helped explain the possibilities. Very sad that you were not able to get your film, though.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

    ----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

    ~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

  9. #9
    6x9
    6x9 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Japan/America
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    DELETED!
    Yes? Hello.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin