Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,869   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmacdonald View Post
    Thanks –
    I specifically ask for "no adjustments" when I get my negatives processed and printed or scanned. It is 35mm.
    "no adjustments" probably translates to them as 'default settings', which includes some sharpening and grain reduction and auto contrast and red-eye reduction and auto saturation and whatever else.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheap, lousy scans (which are digital, by the way, not analog, as should be the content of the discussions in these forums). Send your stuff to a real pro lab if you want good results. There are very few remaining, so get used to the idea of mailing if you have to. Oh yeah...and talk about problems with your scans at Hybrid Photo dot org, not here. this Website is supposed to be a haven from exactly this sort of topic.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Cheap, lousy scans (which are digital, by the way, not analog, as should be the content of the discussions in these forums). Send your stuff to a real pro lab if you want good results...
    My local pro lab has their scans done at the Walgreens down the street :o

As for whether such stuff is appropriate here...That is a real toss-up, in my opinion. When you have a problem with the final image, the question always comes down to shooting technique, materials, and/or processing. In this case, the problem was apparently with the digital processing and as such is outside the scope of the APUG forums for extensive discussion. The original question, however, was perfectly legitimate as were the few simple hints and clarifications that followed.

In regards to "purity" of discussions and freedom from digital pollution, if you want to share your work online on this forum or elsewhere, eventually you will have to digitize your work. Many of us also use scans for proofing. It is a small indulgence for the sake of practicality.

Steve
    Last edited by stevebrot; 05-27-2010 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    My local pro lab has their scans done at the Walgreens down the street :o

As for whether such stuff is appropriate here...That is a real toss-up, in my opinion. When you have a problem with the final image, the question always comes down to shooting technique, materials, and/or processing. In this case, the problem was apparently with the digital processing and as such is outside the scope of the APUG forums for extensive discussion. The original question, however, was perfectly legitimate as were the few simple hints and clarifications that followed.

In regards to "purity" of discussions and freedom from digital pollution, if you want to share your work online on this forum or elsewhere, eventually you will have to digitize your work. Many of us also use scans for proofing. It is a small indulgence for the sake of practicality.

Steve
    This is crazy talk! Simply put, the lab is not a "pro lab" if it contracts Walgreens to do its scanning.

The problem has nothing to do with digitizing in order to show work over the Internet. It is an obvious digital issue, which, once identified as such, should be directed to Hybrid Photo dot org, and the thread ended, IMHO.

For those who scan for whatever reason, their problems with and discussions of it, as well as arguments about it (such as whether or not it is really "practical"), belong on Hybrid Photo dot com. Just because we scan prints and film to share our work here does not mean that this is a Website for discussion of the scanning of prints and film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    This is crazy talk! Simply put, the lab is not a "pro lab" if it contracts Walgreens to do its scanning...
    Lighten up. The "pros" that this lab caters to are biased to traditional wet processing and optical prints. Scanned proofs are offered as a courtesy only.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    Lighten up. The "pros" that this lab caters to are biased to traditional wet processing and optical prints. Scanned proofs are offered as a courtesy only.

Steve
    Again...not a pro lab...but a niche lab! Pro labs are full service. Nobody can call themselves a pro lab these days unless they offer a full range of in-house digital and analog services.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or, since they look like digital "zaggies", it might be that your film was printed digitally from very low res scans of the negatives. This often results in the effect you see. Some labs resort to low res scans to save time. This results in what you see.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aaron, I don't think it's oversharpening, actually.

It looks more to me like an ICE (ICE= image correction and enhancement) artifact. Ask them if they are running digital ICE or any other dustoff process in their scanning workflow. The way digital ICE / infrared cleaning works is that you do two scans- one is infrared and the other normal, and they are combined to give an image that (usually) looks free of dust and scratches and therefore "cleaner." The problem is if you have a high contrast edge, the two have to line up perfectly or else you get edge artifacts. Also I think there are some older films that simply are not compatible with digital ICE.

Ask for a straight scan with no ICE. If they do a *much* higher res scan, the problems may disappear, but you shouldn't have to pay for the larger scan.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are usually referred to as 'edge artefacts' and like everybody else making astute observations, it is a result of either/both default sharpening or imprudent use of Unsharp mask, often post-scan in that program. The skill, knowledge and judgement of the person operating the scanner seems to play second fiddle to the defaults of the bloody machine itself, so awfully common 'High Street' labs. This is not the way pro labs do it, when we (I) explicitly state what is to be done to the scan (nothing!) and I'm there to oversee it.

How did this bit about digital get here, anyways?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that this is a reasonable topic for APUG due to the prevalence of digital printing of scanned negatives. After all, we scan our negatives into the APUG gallery and would all be interested in getting the best quality.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin