Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 845

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Distinctive "Crust" Around Whites on Scans and Prints

Some Background:

I normally take my C-41 colour film to one of the nicer photo stores in town to be processed and often printed. In the last little while I've been noticing a "crust" on parts of images that are very bright, and often against darker areas. The edges of the bright part often look very rough, and this hadn't started happening until recently, using the same films I normally do.

It was noticeable on prints, and I talked to the guys at the shop about it. We looked at my negatives with a loupe and couldn't see what we were seeing on the prints. So the tried tried doing another print of a couple of frames, yielding the same results. Eventually, they attributed it the fact that I was using expired film and I was slightly overexposing.

However, I'd been using that same film and been having it processed that same way for quite a while without having problems, and now I see it on nearly every roll (not every frame, only those with really bright parts.) So, instead of ordering prints the next time I went in, I asked for the negatives to be scanned and burnt to a CD, thinking that since we couldn't see any problem with the negative that the negative scans should be perfect. But that wasn't the case, the scans showed that same "crust" only it was much more visible at the higher resolution. It must be mentioned that I've had the same issue on different types of film too.

Here is a good example (resized to 600px wide):

And a cropped section from the full resolution scan:

Anyone have any ideas? They seem to attribute it to my expired film (as an easy-out I suppose), but since I've had the issue with several films, and because it popped up out of nowhere, I don't the that's the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like excessive digi sharpening to me, from what you describe, it's probably occurring during the scan.
    If this is 35 it may be tough to see on the neg even with a good loupe. If you have an enlarger, try making a B&W print at high magnification to see if it's really on the neg (or just look at the projected image).

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks –
    I specifically ask for "no adjustments" when I get my negatives processed and printed or scanned. It is 35mm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's definitely a digital artifact. "No adjustments" is something of a myth like "unscented" products that usually have some kind of fragrance to cover up undesirable odors. There is probably a default amount of sharpening being applied that can't handle adjacent areas of high contrast, and it's producing this kind of artifact.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps they were trying to "darken" the highlights and didn't get an exact outline. The thumb looks okay. Try another lab or one of the one hour drugstore services with the negatives not the cd. Ask them to print the film as is with no corrections.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like excessive sharpening at first glance.
    I had a problem with my scanner a few years ago where I got halo-ing around the highlights and it turned out the mirror on my scanner had collected an excess film of dust which was considerably "unsharpening" and softening the negs. After a careful dismantle and clean the scan quality improved considerably. Now I clean the mirror every 12 months or so or when I start to notice this effect creeping in again. Do you know someone else with a well-maintained scanner that you could conduct a test on?

Shooter
    35mm
    Another voice in the chorus:

Excess Digital Sharpening

(Maybe some excess smoothing/grain reduction as well.) It was after a big go-round with the supervisor at the Costco photo lab about just this sort of thing that I finally decided that I needed my own scanner. It was costly, but worth it in the end.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with everyone else. It's an over sharpening issue. Take the same neg with the "crust" and have an enlargement made. The ultimate test is an enlargement that done with an analog enlarger. I'll bet the crust won't be there in the final print. You could also use a good old fashion 8X loupe to check the neg also.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's got to be over-sharpening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not an 'analog problem'....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin