Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 868

Shooter
    35mm

My 4 to last roll of Kodachrome

This roll was 1990(!) refrigerated K25, shot at 25, with a Hexar AF.

Dwayne's forgot the hi-res scans, so these are the small images. They will re-scan high res from the slides when I send in my next roll.

Any project suggestions for the other 3 rolls of old K25, and 2 rolls of newer (2009) K64?

here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest shooting it in more classically "pretty" light in order to make use of the film's most definitive characteristics. What you have here is not all that technically different than what Ektachrome or Fujichrome could do in that weather. I would also suggest using a painstaking technical approach (tripod, cable release, careful selection of shots, etc.) Not to knock you for sake of knocking someone, but to me, these pix look pretty bad in terms of subject, concept, light, and technical qualities. Aside from the fact that they are not aesthetically pleasing to me, the shots seem really random and uninteresting. They aren't about anything. They don't say anything. They aren't worth using K25 on, IMO. Go do the film some justice...or, rather, let it do justice to some of your work to which it is well suited. It's easy! All it takes is an eye for light, some thought, and some effort. You have three rolls left of what some will forever argue was the best film ever made. I suggest that you don't waste it on lame snapshots (unless that is somehow part of your concept in the project - lord knows more lame snapshots were probably taken on Kodakchrome than any other photographic imaging medium). I think that going in the direction of American icons and/or symbols would be a good start for ideas. The film itself was a U.S. icon, and this is the last of it that will ever be shot. I'd take that angle. I might also use it for a documentary project. Something about the economy, about unrealistic positive thinking and Reagan economics and what they have done to this nation, about poverty in our backyards, the death of the old ideas of what is American, etc. Kodakchrome - and all film - is just another casualty of rampant, unchecked, unregulated capitalism and consumerism that has defined the past two generations, and that has totally changed the idea of what it is to be American. I'd do something about that. Kodakchrome itself is a good metaphor for this, IMHO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-27-2010 at 06:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, thanks for the great advice. I'll have to make note of these excellent suggestions. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think that's great advice by 2F/2F. You're probably partly on the way to capturing some icons of America anyway, so if you can extend yourself that would be a worthy subject genre. Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Damn,
    It really sucks to be you. I guess it's really important to make a political statement with your last few rolls of Kodachrome. You just might change the world because its Kodachrome, and everyone knows how important a statement you are making.--- B.S.
    Enjoy yourself, take pics. of what you want and don't worry about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take pictures of what YOU want to take pictures of. Just remember to think to yourslef, 'down the road, will I still like this snapshot? Think that it was worth taking the time to photograph?'

I agree to not wasting film, every frame costs $, and with Kodachrome there is no 'I'll go down to the local camera shop and pick up a few more rolls for this weekend.' Take the time and effort to think about what you would be proud to say you photographed with your last rolls of kodachrome.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take photos of whatever you want to take photos of, but I would remind you that Kodachrome was known for the nice bright colors, so try and get a lot of those in your photos.

Here is what I have been up to, I say this because you might get an idea from it. I have one and a half rolls of Kodachrome 64 left. I have been shooting Flowers of spring, bright lawn ornaments, and my kid in bright clothing playing on the lawn, and bright colored cars. I am avoiding browns and earth tones. I have noticed from your photos that the blacks look really black as well. I have been avoiding night flash photos with Kodachrome, but seeing your pictures I think that a few night photos are in order, with bright colors on them naturally. I do find myself avoiding taking that "I think that might look interesting" photo, also with Kodachrome it is one frame only, the photos will last over 100 years if properly stored so if you weren't smiling or looking at the camera in them that's too bad, I will take your picture with some other film or digital later, you are not waisting more of the last of the Kodachrome.

I think my Kodachrome photos will end up looking like a study in American Tacky. I almost wish I had decorated my home in "Early American Vista Way", that would be fun to shoot in Kodachrome.

Whatever you do have fun and be yourself. Try not to do anything illegal either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a political and opinionated person...what else can I say? You don't have to listen to or like what I say...but I am damned sure gonna say it, and especially if I am asked to say it! Of course, you must do whatcha wanna with your film. That is a given. I am just sharing my honest thoughts and opinions...and that is basically that something important that will never exist again (K25/K64/K200) should be used to do a serious project that is somehow related to the importance of the something, symbolic and/or literal... and also that something not being serious may in fact be a very serious concept to use with your last rolls of Kodakchrome.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-28-2010 at 09:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    OK,
    Maybe above I sounded a little harsh, I didn't intend that. In 1964/65 I was in Viet Nam with the USAF. Believe it or not Kodachrome was available in the base PX, so was Ektachrome. I Didn't know which was better so I tryed both. I would buy them with mailers so that they went in for processing then were mailed home to my family, I never saw the results untill I got home from the war. After looking at the results I could not tell the difference beteween K and E except for the fact that the mounts were labeled.
    I still have most of the slides and I can say that Kodachrome looks much better after all those years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, ampguy
    Im sorry, I think a couple of your interior shots are pretty OK.
    I like the first shot of the bartender with the partial bloodshot eyes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin