Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,226   Online: 1193

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The drop in prewet temp has probably been the source of some of the "mythos" about prewet problems. If you have a drop, then you lose density in the upper scale. You then conclude erroniously that a prewet is bad.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know if it is still the case with modern emulsions but E4 gelatin used to swell up considerably, opening 'pores' into which the developer can move. It is in order to allow this process to go to completion before the addition of chemicals that I run a pre-wet of 5min followed by another 30second wet before adding developer.
    Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E4 used a prehardening step. Even so, it was much softer than E6 or C41 films which both can be run at 100F.

I never ran E4 in a Jobo, only in a SS tank.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in the color processing business now folks. Thanks for all the help. I followed PE's advice and did the 2 prewet baths, so far so good! Fun to do something new.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My fix comes out sgnificantly pink. That pink disappears after about one day. The wash water is also pink, if I let rest the film some time in a water filled drum even after 8 min washing in the Jobo Autolab. I made the same experience with E-6 (Fuji Provia F) and B+W (TMY) in all cases the wash water stays absolutely clear after a washing time of about 20 - 30 min. Does that pink come from the senzitation dye? Could it come from exhaustet fix: I experience a longer need for washing, when the fix is used several times in B+W. But for C-41 I use the fix only one shot for 5 films per liter. can I overwash C-41 film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the wash is pink or the fix is pink in E6 or C41, this indicates the presence of bleach and thus washing is not complete.

The wash after the bleach must NOT be pink. If the stabilzer/final rinse is pink, this is bad!

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 06-01-2010 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixing an error in the post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both Kodak and Jobo advise against using a pre-wet with C-41. At best, you'll simply be diluting the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Taylor View Post
    Both Kodak and Jobo advise against using a pre-wet with C-41. At best, you'll simply be diluting the developer.
    Tom;

Sorry, but I must disagree. It does not hurt if done correctly. AAMOF, my Jobo books suggest using one.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

What about E-6? Is it OK to use pre-wet with it? First few times doing Kodak film I got slides what were a bit too dark which seems to indicate under-development. Funny, but Provia that I developed in the same tank, came out good. I am thinking of trying pre-wet with E-6 to get better temperature consistency, but wanted to check if that might cause problems.

Eugene.
    Last edited by anikin; 06-01-2010 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not run any E6 in my Jobo. I have sent it all out. So, I cannot help. Are you sure that you are using the right first developer time? Both Kodak and Fuji suggest different times.

As for C41, I use 2 30" 100F prewets, I fill with developer after the dump and complete drain of the prewet, and start the timer and use 8" to drain the developer such at 3'15" are the total time. Incomplete tempering or incomplete drain of the prewet will cause problems as will long times in the prewet.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin