Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,572   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Calgon instead of distilled water for final rinse/stabiliser?

I need to mix 4 litres of stabiliser or final rinse to avoid drying marks on my film.

There's no distilled water at the shop and its basically midnight now and I need to process this film so I can post it off in the morning for a telecine.

I happen to have a container of 500g of calgon for photographic chemical use here, and was wondering if this will help avoid drying marks and if I can mix it with stabiliser? (Flexicolor Stabiliser III).

I need a practical answer, I'm off to load the tank now and start the developer stage.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A drop of dish washing liquid per liter of water avoids drying marks. That's what my Dad did for decades without any trouble. If you're worried about residue, you can wash the film again in distilled water when you get it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Will that actually help hard/hardish water?

I should note I have the sodium hexametaphosphate variety. I'm not sure how much Im supposed to use per litre.

Currently in the bleaching stage atm. I'd like finish this before the sun gets up as I have to help out at the green screen this morning.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-30-2010 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO NOT USE DISHWASHER FLUID FOR ANY FILM, ESPECIALLY COLOR FILM!!!

The final rinse contains Photo Flo 200 + either Formalin or a proprietary bacteriocide. Adding Calgon to this will probably not do good things. The final rinse or stabilizer was designed to work without the need for distilled water although that would help in some extreme cases of hard water.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Addendum: If you insist on using Calgon, it must be the unscented variety and must be used at about 1 gram / liter or less if possible.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's sodium hexametaphosphate as described on the container, its not from a supermarket, its from a photo chemical supplier.

I'll just try the Stab III later on with tap water from the kitchen and see what happens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin