Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,614   Online: 896

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    [...] In short, I bought most of the in-store stock of these kits in Melbourne. About 30 +- in all.

[...]

That explains the famine of colour chems then. Nicely. :o
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I must admit, you do have my attention all of a sudden!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my email address.

Know anyone travelling interstate?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RA4 is really very fun, and much easier than I remembered it being when I started back at it after a long hiatus. The questions of availability of anything from one purchase to the next have become too much for me this year. I'm finishing my last stuff and packing it in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, basically, RA4 is easy. What is hard is getting the chemical and paper.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sad really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mick, I would be quite interested in these kits if postage to Sydney is possible.

I bought one a few years back from Foto Riesel in Sydney but it had been on the shelf too long and the developer had turned to tar. I regret returning it though as I was given some dev shortly afterwards, and blix is difficult (impossible) to get unless you want 25L!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, Sydney is a possibility.

Hoffy has sent me a pm and we have been conversing via email, he has first dibs.

Interesting regarding the developer going off.

I just went to the darkroom and checked all bottles in all of the three kits, they all look good.

By the way with the bleach/fix chemicals, I generally mixed half up at a time to make 2.5 litres, which is what my Durst Printo roller transport paper processor takes per bath.

The developer I mix up as a whole five litres and store in tightly sealed glass bottles with glass marbles inside to eliminate as much air as possible. RA4 developer does have a remarkable life span. However once it has been used, it will start to go off sooner rather than later.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

Just want to say that this thread could not have come at a better time for me too.
    Now that I'm busily printing for the first time in years, I find that I have all the hardware I need to give RA-4 a try, and would very (very!) much like to do so.

The main question now is that, living in South Africa, which is probably in a similar-to-slightly-worse situation to Australia in terms of chem availability, how I source the chemicals and paper.

I'm pretty sure that the worst case, in terms of paper, would be persuading a local lab to order an extra roll of Endura or Crystal Archive, and hand cutting it. A nuisance I'm sure, but there are worse fates.

I'm more concerned about chemicals. It looks as if I'll either need to import a couple of kits at absurd expense, or else try to get the smallest quantities I can of minilab chemicals and carefully make them up.

Does anybody know whether the Fuji Hunt Print X-Press kits are any good, or indeed still available? I see a notice on Fuji's website announcing that they would be discontinued mid-2009, but I also still them still stocked on some online stores, mainly in Europe.

Anyway, thanks again all for generously sharing expertise!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Halford View Post
    Hi all,

Does anybody know whether the Fuji Hunt Print X-Press kits are any good, or indeed still available? I see a notice on Fuji's website announcing that they would be discontinued mid-2009, but I also still them still stocked on some online stores, mainly in Europe.

!
    Yes and Yes. I think the news about discontinuance in mid 2009 has to be wrong. AGphotographic in the U.K. sells this kit at a very good price with no mention of buy while stocks last or discontinued line.

If you can find a good mini-lab then unles you do a lot of C41 developing it is debatable whether home developing is cheaper. The real issue is RA4 chemicals. Again AGphotographic sells the Kodak kits but I don't know if S.A. is on the list of countries exported to and it will be quite high postage as it is liquids that are being sold.

Have a lool at Silverprint in London, U.K. It used to sell powder C41 kits which keep indefinitely until mixed as liquids. Might be cheaper.

Frankly if you can do a deal with your mini-lab on RA4 chenicals this is probably the best bet. It can probably sell you what you need in the quantities you need.

However just be aware that these days some of the more modern labs have machines that use "cassettes" of chemicals in specialy designed plastic containers that the operator simply "plugs" into the machine. It is not a case of them receiving say 10 gallon containers and pouring into tanks and simply pouring you say half a gallon into you own container for use at home.

You have a bit or research to do but I hope that one of these options can be arranged.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin