Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,628   Posts: 1,623,029   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Life without Reala in the USA

I'm coming to grips with the fact that Reala, my favorite film, is no longer going to be sold in the USA. I didn't believe it at first - how could Fuji stop selling a film in the world's biggest marketplace but not others? I guess nobody here was buying it. Alas

While nothing will replace Reala I do intend to keep shooting C-41 film, so I'm debating whether Kodak 100 Gold or Kodak Portra 160VC is the better alternative.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'm coming to grips with the fact that Reala, my favorite film, is no longer going to be sold in the USA. I didn't believe it at first - how could Fuji stop selling a film in the world's biggest marketplace but not others? I guess nobody here was buying it. Alas

While nothing will replace Reala I do intend to keep shooting C-41 film, so I'm debating whether Kodak 100 Gold or Kodak Portra 160VC is the better alternative.
    I'm willing to bet we'll still be able to get both Reala and plain Fujicolor 100 as import film from certain stores, at least in 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    I too am missing my Reala(all time favorite film). I noticed on ebay it is available. I believe it would be shipped from Hong Kong (I think?). I have not bought any yet but I might soon. The last time I checked Adorama had some left but B&H were out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am with you. It is my favorite medium-speed color negative film by leaps and bounds.

I will be importing it, myself. As long as it is still manufactured, I will try to get my hands on it. I plan on stocking up on the 120, because I believe it is just a matter of time before it is gone entirely, and there will likely never again be another 100-speed color negative film that I like this much.

There really is no replacement for Reala IME. The closest is Superia 100, but it still isn't as good, and it has been discontinued here as well. S and C (and NC and VC on the Kodak side) fall on either side of it in terms of saturation and contrast, and IME neither are as accurate in color reproduction.

What Reala really strikes me as is a daylight negative film with the qualities you get from T64. Totally accurate, totally plain, not subdued or exaggerated, dead neutral grays and whites that print so beautifully, rich blacks, moderate contrast, very sharp, very fine grained.

EPN and EPP were very close to it, but not only are they both transparency films, but they are both discontinued.

Do not let anyone sell you the idea that Kodak Ektar is a reasonable replacement for it. They are very different films.

I might go for Pro 160S underexposed a stop and pushed if I didn't want to import Reala...but wait...that is gone too!!! So, maybe Kodak 160NC underexposed a stop and pushed a stop?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-07-2010 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wolfeye, is (was?) Reala really as saturated as a VC Kodak film? Or are skin tones important to you?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved Reala. And it was so reasonably priced. Running out of it, I've just bought a bunch of Fuji Pro 160S. It's a nice film that works well with skin tones in my experience. But it is different, of course.

I've used Portra 160VC and NC and like both, but I prefer the Fuji Pro 160S. I sure hope it's not discontinued.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if I like Pro 160S or Reala better. In any case I've always been buying from HK, Thailand, Taiwan, UK and US over eBay since prices here are just plain robbery, and I havent had a problem with any of those film sellers, UK and US tend to be slow on the shipping though.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're looking for import sources, 120 Reala can be sourced from the UK:
    http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/rea...ack-p-607.html

35mm is still available here, but it's not going to be imported anymore, Germany seems the best source:
    http://www.macodirect.de/fujifilm-fu...7_465_468.html
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Japan Exposures is a great outfit that ships to the US pretty darn quickly. I've ordered from them several times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't like 160S, when I can't get Reala I'll go Portra I think. Curiously enough, Acros has never been imported here, but I can get as much Reala as I like currently whereas you lot are out of luck already it seems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin