Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,542   Posts: 1,646,135   Online: 826

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then the only thing left is your enlarger itself. If the light is wrong, such as being extra high in red or IR light (too hot), then the balance would be too cyan. Or, if the system is deficient in blue light for some reason due to yellowing of optical parts then this might result.

That is all I have left to suggest.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Taking out the rinse step also seems to have no effect.

I would think that this is a problem with my negatives, but I've used negatives from a lab and ones that I developed and had almost exactly the same results. I find it unlikely that the lab and myself made the same exact error.

What are the chances of this being a problem with my enlarger? That's the only thing I think could be the problem at this point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you using a Dichro head or condenser head with acetate CP filters?

When I first tried colour printing, it was with a "colour" enlarger with acetate filters. Used with the filter pack was an anti-IR or heat-absorbing glass. Without this, the prints came out too blue.

OTOH if you are using a Dichro head, the way the halogen lamp is placed sometimes affects how the colours come out. Reorientating the lamp, if possible, may just take out the mystery casts.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I've just found the problem, and an interesting one it is: a neutral density filter. I'd always used a 2 stop ND filter in the top filter drawer when printing B&W to avoid 1 second exposure times without stopping the lens all the way to f/45. I thought it wouldn't affect my color exposures, being that it is supposedly neutral, but I guess it does.

Thank you all for the suggestions, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname09 View Post
    Well, I've just found the problem, and an interesting one it is: a neutral density filter. I'd always used a 2 stop ND filter in the top filter drawer when printing B&W to avoid 1 second exposure times without stopping the lens all the way to f/45. I thought it wouldn't affect my color exposures, being that it is supposedly neutral, but I guess it does.

Thank you all for the suggestions, though.
    Great that the OP has found the solution but I'd be interested in the experts' views as to why a ND filter should create the problem. In a dichroic head the cyan filter can be dialled in to achieve the same ND effect without it affecting the colour balance.

I am puzzled

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All emulsions are sensitive to UV light and color paper is somewhat sensitive to IR light. So, proper exposure needs an IR and a UV filter. If these are out of balance, then the light is off.

Or, the filter itself may appear neutral, but is not, as our eyes adjust to different color balances and consider them normal. If you are looking outdoors through a window, things look normal, and if you turn around and look in the room with tungsten lighting present, it will look normal. But, if while viewing the room, you look in a mirror at the outdoors, it will appear strongly bluish. This is normal due to the way our eyes adjust.

Only a spectrophotometer can truly answer this question in an unbiased fashion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What was your exposure time with ND filter? Modern color paper is rather sensitive, so with longer exposure time
    you could have picked up fog from stray light from the enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    What was your exposure time with ND filter? Modern color paper is rather sensitive, so with longer exposure time
    you could have picked up fog from stray light from the enlarger.
    It couldn't have been fog. Both exposures, with and without the filter, were 10s. I removed the filter and compensated by stopping down two more stops to get the same exact exposure.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it still seems strange that prints would come out cyan with no regular filtration. Just think how much regular filtration it would take to do this...typically 50-75 units of magenta and yellow just to balance it, and then even more to make it cyan. Even with IR and UV hitting the paper, is such an effect really possible? It does not happen for me. And if the ND filter looks even close to what a ND filter would look like it, how could it have such an effect?

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You cannot see IR and UV but the paper can.

Therefore, we cannot judge this situation without a proper instrument that can see UV and IR.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin