Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,411   Online: 930

Shooter
    35mm

Storing Negatives

What precautions do I have to take for doing this? I keep all my negs, colour & mono in plastic sleeves. What sort of temperature and humidity are ideal? Any other conditions I need to keep an eye on?

Thanks

Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Keep them in a dark area. Slows down fading or something…

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Wilhelm Imaging Research has got an interesting book talking about everything archival: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html
    Chapter 16 talks about the environmental conditions.

Overall it's about keeping temperature low (lowest as possible, much better for color; B&W doesn't care that much), Humidity between 30-50% and dark. Also away from pollution.

Shooter
    35mm
    So what about keeping exposed negs in some sort of cool box?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, my equipment and negatives were relegated to the basement a long time ago. Our basement is pretty dry as basements go, the humidity is between 35-55% (winter vs. summer) and the temp. between 65-70, which is pretty much the comfort range for us humans as well. Some of my negatives are more than 40 years old and are fine.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Storing Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Some of my negatives are more than 40 years old and are fine.
    Ah but this is only because your basement had quite favorable conditions. 30-60% humidity is not common in basements at all. Even my garage stabilizes between 50-80 depending on season and daily weather.

Highly valued negatives should be relatively air sealed and frozen. A vacuum seal is not necessary but cold temperatures and the implicitly low humidity of a freezer are quite a big advantage.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin