Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,953   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, I'll stick to the 100 rating for the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that both Kodak and Fuji pro films are accurately rated at the boxed speed for my equipment.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    This was not with optical printing by the way.
    Hey Tim:

WHO optical prints anymore ??

Must be only hobby or custom jobs I would think.

The BIG question is how much UNDER or OVER does it matter when it's in the hybrid workflow ? This will wake up a few !!

SO everybody... what's YOUR thoughts !!

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good questions Scott. I don't know. I feel like most people, even film nuts, don't optical print color film, but we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

On those film tests I did, development was normal for all shots, and scanning was done by the minilab... So it seems to be a pretty flexible workflow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I feel like most people, even film nuts, don't optical print color film, but we aren't allowed to talk about that here.
    Hello Tim:

Well guess what, If we don't talk about it then all color film will no longer be manufactured. SO I guess the DIE HARDS will just have to skip over this little chat.

People need to pull their head out of the sand and get a grip on what is going on with the state of color analog imaging.

I would bet that 99.9997% of ALL color film (chrome and neg) is scanned and output via digital c-print, inkjet or just not even printed at all.

What your thoughts on this ?

How has your shooting changed by the digital intermediary process ?? You shooting MORE or LESS film now days ?

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Sheppard View Post
    The BIG question is how much UNDER or OVER does it matter when it's in the hybrid workflow ?
    It probably matters about the same as it would for optical printing.

Steve.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got back two rolls of Ektar 100 (120 format) that I shot a few weeks ago, I know, I know I'm a slacker and should shoot and process more often. What I have noticed in this latest batch is that when I shot in bright direct sun at ISO 100 settings I got great results, setting for ISO 100 in indirect sunlight did not produce results that were nearly as nice. We are talking about a 90 year old camera that was probably got it's last CLA fifty years ago so while I set it right the camera may not have responded as it should have. I will to re-shoot and try to figure out what went wrong, I'm hoping that it is just a camera back problem.

Camera Back Problem; Any problem caused by the thing directly behind the camera that adjusts settings and fires the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This forum is exclusively meant for all-analogue workflow (eg. those optically printing from color negs). There is an another site for hybrid workflow.

Your question is very weird. THIS is the very forum for the people who print optically. There is at least a few dozen of people here who do it all the time.

It's not a question how popular it is. I'm not interested how popular it is. What I care is what I do and what I want to do. This is the only forum specially meant for all-analog workflow and I want to respect it. There are many places where I can discuss scanning. Even if there is only a few hundred of us or so, it doesn't matter! We are not striving for popularity, we want to keep this forum for what it's meant to: all-analogue workflow. Most of us also do scanning, and we understand the fact that it is way more popular among film photographers, but so what??? Is this too difficult to understand?

I find optical printing very rewarding over scanning. I have decent scanners and high level of technical know-how on scanning and digital image processing, to understand and see the benefits of optical printing; even higher resolution than 4000 dpi scanners, no processing artifacts, very mild problems with minor dust and scratches compared to scanning the same negs, and easiness of color balancing; and finally, the low level of technological details needed to understand and control the process.
    Last edited by hrst; 06-17-2010 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Tim:

Well guess what, If we don't talk about it then all color film will no longer be manufactured. SO I guess the DIE HARDS will just have to skip over this little chat.

People need to pull their head out of the sand and get a grip on what is going on with the state of color analog imaging.

I would bet that 99.9997% of ALL color film (chrome and neg) is scanned and output via digital c-print, inkjet or just not even printed at all.

What your thoughts on this ?

How has your shooting changed by the digital intermediary process ?? You shooting MORE or LESS film now days ?

Thanks

Scott
    Mine are optically printed at Samys.

What is your problem? Take film bashing to another forum.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    ...The BIG question is how much UNDER or OVER does it matter when it's in the hybrid workflow ?...
    Scott,
    I don't understand your baiting on this thread, but I will take the time to answer your question.

ANSWER:

It does not make any difference whether you use a traditional or hybrid workflow. If the negative is deficient, there is blessed little you can do to make it better regardless of how you process to a final image.

The old rules still apply:
    • You can't create shadow detail that is not there
    • You can't bring back a blown highlight
    • You can't add tonality if none exists
    • There are limits to color correction

PM me if you want my personal experience with digital PP from badly exposed or poorly developed Ektar 100. On this thread, I can tell you up front that my conclusion is that, regardless of process, Ektar 100 rewards accurate exposure and quality development in spades. Push the limits and you will get grainy, dull crap with the occasional garish red shirt thrown in for spice.

Steve

P.S. Care to post a link showing Ektar "rocking" at 4 stops over?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin