Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 783

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ektar and overexposure

I've seen a lot of debate on this - some say ISO 100, others 80 or 64. Is there a general consensus on this amongst APUG folks? Also, how does reciprocity failure affect Ektar?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've shot it at 100 so far with no problems at all, using a centerweighted averaging meter on my SLR. Ektar has quite little reciprocity failure in comparison to other medium speed films.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot at box speed and have gotten good results at ISO 80. My experience has been that contrast and high values both suffer with overexposure.

For some comparison images and extensive discussion see this thread on PentaxForums:

According to Kodak, the film has good reciprocity from 1/10,000s to 1s (Ektar 100 Datasheet). I have shot at up to 3 seconds with no issues.

Steve

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have shot this film in my Autographic Brownie using a averaging meter, and setting for ASA 100 as best as I can with the 2 shutter speeds and 4 apertures and I have gotten great results, my prints look good all over, unless it's a really hot spot. I have not tried it in the Pentax, but I see no reason why it wouldn't perform even better in a camera that I have a lot more control over exposure and focus on.

I shoot it as advertised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve - thanks for that link. Looks to me like 64-80-100 give about equivalent results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Steve - thanks for that link. Looks to me like 64-80-100 give about equivalent results.
    You are very welcome. One thing that I would be quick to add is that Ektar 100 does best when the processing is good. If your lab is not good about their replenishment schedule, the results can be seriously discouraging. Underdevelopment yields off colors, poor contrast, and grain. I used to use Costco for my processing, but after two bad rolls in a row, my film now goes to a local pro lab. The results have been consistently good since then.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I've seen a lot of debate on this...
    Hey Tony:

I have shot Ektar up to 4 stop over and it ROCKS !!

look at this as well...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgray1/...7623780898802/

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Ektar has a pretty good latitude, I've shot at lots of different EI to start with but now pretty much use at box speed.
    I did a test on my blog and it held up +1/-2 no problem:link (just scroll down)

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...ektar-100.html

Ektar is a wonderful film, nice saturated reds and blue and yet skin tones look good (eat your heart out Velvia)

Regards
    Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm in the middle of my first commercial job (architectural) with Ektar 4x5" - I can hardly wait to see the results. Previously I've used Portra 160NC, so it'll be interesting...

Marc!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was going to post the link of the test I did but Scott already did. I think it looks best in the range of -1 to +2, with the optimal exposure being right on. If you aren't constantly and consistently metering, maybe going at EI 64 gives you a bit of wiggle room, but as long as metering is consistent, I don't see much of a reason to not go with box speed.

This was not with optical printing by the way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin