Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,949   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Not sure how true this information is but Lucky has Kodak control or money running the operations. So Kodak film made in China possibly could be made by Lucky ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have the Samsung 200ASA film mentioned by the OP, but I do have 2 rolls of "Samsung Primecolor" film, ASA 100 that I bought from a camera shop that's closing down. The box is blue in color, and it's written there "Made in France", expiry date is 2006. I've shot a roll of it, and I can't recall what the edge markings are. Does anyone know what film this is? I'm pretty sure it's rebadged too.

The mystery deepens!

Shooter
    35mm
    But IIRC TriX and PlusX were the very first films that have been rebadged by Kodak. There was some kind of policy againt rebadging films (from Kodak) before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    I don't have the Samsung 200ASA film mentioned by the OP, but I do have 2 rolls of "Samsung Primecolor" film, ASA 100 that I bought from a camera shop that's closing down. The box is blue in color, and it's written there "Made in France", expiry date is 2006. I've shot a roll of it, and I can't recall what the edge markings are. Does anyone know what film this is? I'm pretty sure it's rebadged too.

The mystery deepens!
    It seems that Samsung, like so many others, sourced their films from various manufacturers. The "made in France" would seem to indicate it was made in Kodak's French factory, probably a couple of years earlier. I think the faqctory closed in 2005 or 2006. The last French made Kodak film I've seen had a 2007 expiry date. By the early 2000's I don't think there was any other film manufacturing plant in France.

As to Kodak and Lucky, Kodak took a stake in Lucky at one point, but whether they still have it I don't know. Kodak had its own large film plant in China while Lucky continued to make its films in its own facilities. From what I've read, I don't think Kodak still make film in China, but Lucky continue to make their own small range of black & white and colour films there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that helpful info, Brac. I've yet to check the rebate markings on the Samsung 200 film...

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe the mystery is pretty much solved.

If the film box states, Made in China. Finished in Mexico" or "Made in China. Packaged in Mexico", it can only be Kodak. The only mystery is whether it is Gold or an earlier, economy emulsion like Color Plus. We've ruled-out Ferrania, as the negatives don't match, and they don't have facilities in China or Mexico. It can't be Fuji for the same reason. Konica Minolta is out of the film business, but it couldn't have been theirs for the same reason. Agfa? Ditto (at least as far as mainstream consumer films are concerned). Lucky? They don't "finish" or package film in Mexico. That leaves us with only one company that fits the criteria...Kodak.

I believe Kodak sold its stake in Lucky a few years ago, and have also moved their manufacturing back to the U.S. and out of China. I've heard that they did help Lucky with technology when they did have a stake, which greatly improved Lucky films.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin