Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,365   Posts: 1,682,932   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone know about Samsung 200 ISO film?

I've been shooting .99c store film in my underwater and toy cams, and I just stumbled upon a film Ive never seen before. It's Samsung 200 iso 36 exposure, and it's made in the PRC and packed in Mexico. Has anyone else used it or have any ideas of what film it actually is since I'm guessing it's re-rolled.

It has much more color in it than the better known ".99c brand" Memories film, and more exposures on the roll too! However Memories is fresh, and this Samsung stuff expired in 08. The box gives a website http://www.samsungfilm.com but the site doesn't give any info about the film.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    If it is China then it probably is Lucky.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can read in the canister "CP36", it surely Ferrania film.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it was made in China, packed in Mexico and expired in 2008, it almost certainly was Kodak. Most Kodak "Gold" films were temporarily being manfactured in China a few years back, and finished in Mexico, so a box of Gold 100 and 200 from that time period stated "Manufactured in China. Finished in Mexico". The expiration of 2008 would also be just about correct. Kodak moved the manufacturing back to the U.S., but most of the films are still finished in Mexico. So...the short answer: it's most likely Kodak Gold 200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ten that does sound like it could be true, I came into this assuming it would be Lucky but you may be right here. Or Federico could be as well since it does say CP36 on it.

The mystery continues!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But Ferrania offered the whole package for private label films. It would not fit into their concept to have their films converted by others. And I don't know of any conversion facility in Mexico aside of Kodak.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do know that Ferrania doesn't have film manufacturing facilities in China, or finishing facilities in Mexico. The only manufacturer that I can think of that does (or did) is Kodak. Lucky 200 isn't nearly as saturated as Gold 200, and since the poster stated the color was better than the usual Chinese-made films, my guess is Kodak when they were producing films there. The expiration date of 2008 does make sense, as some of the last emulsion runs of the Chinese-made Kodak Gold films had a 2008 expiration date. I don't know...maybe more infomation could be gathered by examining the processed negatives. Ferrania, whether under their name or manufactured for others, will have their characteristic green dots and "+" symbols on the negative edge. If manufactured for others, Ferrania usually uses only a black cannister with a sticker stating the "house" name, however, the "CP36" will be boldly printed near the "lip" of the cannister in white letters directly on the cannister. Also, Ferrania usually still keeps their name on the edge of processed negatives, even when producing for another company.

Hope this helps :-)
    Last edited by Ten301; 06-19-2010 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has moved all finishing operations from Mexico to the US (Rochester) as of 2009.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    The negatives actually say Samsung 200 on them and I don't see a green dot or + on them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Samsung labelled films were at one time made by Ferrania in Italy, but what you have got would appear to be something different. Probably it is Kodak but not Gold. Kodak have a cheaper line that goes under various labels such as Kodak Color Plus. This is usually found at discount stores, or given way by those few mail order labs that still exist, who give you a "free film", when you send a film in for processing. I bought two rolls of 24 exp Kodak Color Plus (ISO 200) earlier this month at a discount store. The expiry date is 08/2012, and they are marked as "Made in USA. Finished in Mexico for Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, NY14650." Elsewhere the box says (C) Eastman Kodak Company 2008. I guess the boxes are old stock being used up, as the expiry date would seem to indicate this film left the factory fairly recently, but whether that factory was in the US or Mexico I have no idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin