Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,654   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Process E6 with c-41 and other replacements

Well, well.

I took the plunge and attempted to process a roll of E6 using f-76+ and c-41 dev and try to get a positive image, but something went wrong, and i got a negative.

What i did was
    -b/w dev
    -bleach
    -fix
    -fog
    -c-41 process

What i received was:

As good as scan as I can produce looks like:

Needless to say, that's not a positive.

I was recommended that i just do the following:
    -b/w dev
    -fog
    -c-41 process

and that should be enough to generate a positive image with positive film. Can anyone collaborate on this?

I know there are a couple threads on this, but there was some inconsistent info and they tended to go OT within a couple posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that process will only give a negative.

You must:

B&W dev
    wash or stop
    Fog
    C41 process

The bleach and fix should either have given blank film or a weak negative image depending on the type of bleach used.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    'What i did was
    -b/w dev
    -bleach
    -fix
    -fog
    -c-41 process'

That will give a very bad negative, it should be fix before bleach to get a reasonable negaive.

Or as PE says for a positive like you wanted originally, bleach then fix only after C-41 developer stage.

I should mention I've had nothing but trouble trying to use normal b&w developers @ 20c to make a colour positive, though I've only tried a couple. But have had great success re-processing to a colour negative with a 20c b&w first developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But why waste the step of a "first developer" to get a negative, when you can use a C41 color developer directly and save steps?

Then it would be just C41 developer, bleach wash fix wash stab.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE, are you suggesting that i do

-Color Dev
    -fog
    -C-41 process

?

Also, it came to my attention that RA-4 developer contains cd-3, just like E-6 color dev. Any thoughts on using that to replace the color developer in this step?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    But why waste the step of a "first developer" to get a negative, when you can use a C41 color developer directly and save steps?

Then it would be just C41 developer, bleach wash fix wash stab.

PE
    Cold/ambient process all the way, trying out traditional techniques and seeing what you get, and of course, the fun of non-standardised processing like you get from b&w

I actually started doing this and using C-41 for reversals as a colour developer when I had the very last of my C-41 developer ages ago left and it was exhausted beyond normal C-41 times, testing only changes the times again.. as opposed to processing to completion.. I know.. very cheap and nasty.. but I found it did have a lot of life left in it where I wouldnt be able to continue using it for standard C-41 processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppervok View Post

-B&W Dev
    -fog
    -C-41 process

?

Also, it came to my attention that RA-4 developer contains cd-3, just like E-6 color dev. Any thoughts on using that to replace the color developer in this step?
    That's wha you should do (I edited the quote) for reversals.

Zorkicat used RA-4, he commented the pH needs to be changed to reflect E-6 CD to stop a yellow colour cast kind of look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloppervok View Post

-Color Dev
    -fog
    -C-41 process

?
    If you did that, the first color developer would form a negative image dyes, and the second would form a positive image in dyes, neither of which get bleached out, and you'd have a black piece of film. The first developer is just so that you can get an image on the film to reverse and should not form any dyes.

As PE said, you just need to develop it in any B&W developer, give it a good rinse to get all the developer out, fog it, and send it through the C41 process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, great. I've started doing it again tonight, and I'll post results later.

Is it possible to over develop the c-41 developing stage? The z119 says that this step can be done in daylight, and others have mentioned that I should visually follow the progress of my film.

What am I looking for in the visual examinations?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're making reversals, you cant over do the colour developer step (C-41 in your case), and I'd recommend a longer time than 3min 15sec for that step.

I guess you could overdo if you left it that long in there the film fell apart.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Well there we are.
    There's a strong blue cast on overexposed images, and the properly exposed ones are grayish and dense.

Is this where cd-3 vs cd-4 makes a difference? Or is this where I would have to adjust the pH of my developer to make it more like E6 developer (whatever that is)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin