Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,314   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    how can you tell when the blix is spent?

do you prints fade when exposed to white light/washing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding citric acid, it is very polar compared to acetic acid. In a color process it is essential to get acid into the coupler solvent drops to neutralize the color developer and extract it. Citric acid, I have been told, is less efficient at this due to polarity. I have never tested it so IDK. The result would be a pinkish stain and lower image stability.

A spent blix would cause darker, contaminated colors and a gradual browning or yellowing of the print. The result is similar to using spent fix on B&W prints.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A spent blix would cause darker, contaminated colors and a gradual browning or yellowing of the print. The result is similar to using spent fix on B&W prints.

PE
    Okay, so what causes a bluing, similar to a sheet that is just exposed to light just lighter?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A spent blix retains silver metal as well and the silver metal combined with dye can cause a blue cast as well as dingy dark colors in general. It depends on the amount of retained silver.

OTOH, insufficient development can also cause a blue cast as can improper optical brightner.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks PE

I found part of my issue tonight, I have been inadvertently bumping my hot plate thermostat.

Tonight I started getting a brownish cast on the third sheet, checked the temp and I was up from 90 to 100.

I shortened my develop and blix times from 1:10 to 90 sec and the problem was gone. Ran at 100 the rest of the evening sweet as pie.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you said brownish cast.

That comes from overdevelopment or from iron hydroxides precipitating from bad bleach. You had the former problem then.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So PE,

If "the blue" were covering the whole paper, most visible in the margins; that would be the spent blix, correct?

If the blue cast was just in the exposed area would that indicate the developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spent blix, underdevelopment or too much optical brightener. This would probably apply to all areas.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format

Separate Bleach&Fix?

I'm using a two part blix. Part 1 contains the bleach (Sodium Ferric EDTA) and part 2 the fixer (Ammonium Thiosulfate). Is is possible to use the two parts separately as bleach and fix instead of mixing it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you can separate the two at a considerable penalty in rate of bleaching. It will take about 2x the normal blix rate for the bleach step, and the normal blix time for the fix step. To keep contamination down, you will need a wash step in between. If you don't wash, the fix will gradually become a weak blix all by itself due to carryover.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin