Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,499   Online: 689

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Xray effects on film

I am currently traveling in Europe and realized that my films were scanned at least 2 or 3 times by baggage scanners for "Left Luggage" depots at train stations. My films are all colour reversal 100 and 400 speed in 35mm and 120 formats. I also have a few 1600 speed colour neg. They were scanned in Barcelona and Madrid while in Spain. Protective measures have been taken since then.

I know the damage has already been done, if any, so I'm just curious about anyone's experience with similar situations. Perhaps it can put me at ease.
    David S. Nardi Photography
    'preserving the beauty in nature'
    www.davidnardi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problems. These scanners are all film safe. Do a search there's threads every week nearly on the subject here on APUG.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have just returned from Europe with 20 rolls of exposed TMY-2/400 speed. Three scans: San Francisco Airport, Eurostar in Paris, and at Heathrow Airport. I was able to get hand checked at Eurostar in London.

All film has been processd and no sign of any X-ray damage. You should be fine, at least up to ASA-400. I would not worry, but avoid as many scans as possible since there may be an accumulative affect.

www.mergross.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he is talking more about dropped off baggage, not carry on. The scanners used for carry ons are much weaker than that for checked luggage. While I've never heard (or had) problems with the former, I have heard of problems with damage from the latter. That is why I've never put film in checked luggage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I think he is talking more about dropped off baggage, not carry on. The scanners used for carry ons are much weaker than that for checked luggage. While I've never heard (or had) problems with the former, I have heard of problems with damage from the latter. That is why I've never put film in checked luggage.
    Oh, perhaps I misunderstood, not being familiar with the term "left luggage depot". I assumed a carry-on type scanner as used at train stations, which are much weaker than the checked luggage scanners. I have also heard of problems with the latter, as you suggest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could have a problem from checked-baggage scanners. They are fairly powerful.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Merg, you didn't miss understand I think John NYC did though, the OP says left luggage depot at railway stations.

Here in Turkey the same scanners are used at shopping centres. I buy most of my film in the UK and fly with it, often flying later with it again, or joining my wife on a cruise ship where it gets scanned twice first time I board then daily for a week. Despite many multiple scans I never have an issue and I know film I took to Chile & Peru 3 years ago was scanned about 20 times, again no issue.

In fact checked luggage goes through identical scanners and only baggage needing further object identification gets the more intensive dosages using different machines, usually because some objects can look ominous when placed together in baggage.

The Kodak information is so far out of date it's meaningless, airport and other hand luggage scanners are all now film safe for many multiple passes.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for all the feedback. Just gotta keep shooting and cross my fingers!
    David S. Nardi Photography
    'preserving the beauty in nature'
    www.davidnardi.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin