Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,275   Online: 781

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Washing RA-4 papers @ < 35ºC

Has anyone here done testing or have prior knowledge on washing RA-4 paper at less than 35 or 30 degrees centigrade? - A pdf for a room temperature kit on www.novadarkroom.com suggests 4 minutes @ 18ºC.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Four minutes at 18C is much too low of a temp and much too short of a time.

I would not go below 20 deg C and I would use enough time for the paper to test free of retained hypo and retained silver using the standard tests. I myself hold batches of 20 - 40 prints (8x10 or 11x14) in trays at up to 85 F for 1/2 hour or more during a session and then I give them a final running water wash for about 2 - 4 minutes at 85F.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Four minutes at 18C is much too low of a temp and much too short of a time.

I would not go below 20 deg C and I would use enough time for the paper to test free of retained hypo and retained silver using the standard tests. I myself hold batches of 20 - 40 prints (8x10 or 11x14) in trays at up to 85 F for 1/2 hour or more during a session and then I give them a final running water wash for about 2 - 4 minutes at 85F.

PE
    PE,

I was surprised when I saw that suggestion, i.e. the 4 minute wash.

Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin